May 26, 2010, 5:00 PM EST
Beyond the Chicago Blackhawks offense, Michael Leighton has another thing to worry about: the potential return of Brian Boucher. Philly.com reports that Boucher might be ready to backup Leighton as early as Game 1 on Saturday.
“I think there is a chance, yeah,” Boucher said. “I think today was a day to get through, and it went very well. My goal is to be good enough to go for Game 1 and help in any way.”
Since returning to the ice, he’s had to overcome the mental anxiety of re-injuring himself and dealing with the pain at the same time – which doctors said will linger for “at least another month,” Boucher said.
“It’s very methodical. You’ve got to think about your movements. You don’t want to put yourself in a situation where you might hurt yourself. Today, there was less thinking and it was more just about stopping the puck and moving in situations where I would in a game.”
As you may remember, Boucher went down with knee problems the very game that Leighton came back unexpectedly early from a high-ankle sprain. Leighton helped the team come back against the Boston Bruins and then shut the Canadiens out in three of the five games in the series.
Both goalies have been great for the Flyers, despite not having the legacy of being high draft picks or regular starters for any team. Boucher is 6-3-1 with a 2.33 GAA and a 91.5 save percentage while Leighton is 6-1-1 with a 1.45 GAA and a 94.8 save percentage.
We’ll have a better idea of Boucher will actually back up Leighton as we get closer to game time on Saturday.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)