May 26, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
Beyond the Chicago Blackhawks offense, Michael Leighton has another thing to worry about: the potential return of Brian Boucher. Philly.com reports that Boucher might be ready to backup Leighton as early as Game 1 on Saturday.
“I think there is a chance, yeah,” Boucher said. “I think today was a day to get through, and it went very well. My goal is to be good enough to go for Game 1 and help in any way.”
Since returning to the ice, he’s had to overcome the mental anxiety of re-injuring himself and dealing with the pain at the same time – which doctors said will linger for “at least another month,” Boucher said.
“It’s very methodical. You’ve got to think about your movements. You don’t want to put yourself in a situation where you might hurt yourself. Today, there was less thinking and it was more just about stopping the puck and moving in situations where I would in a game.”
As you may remember, Boucher went down with knee problems the very game that Leighton came back unexpectedly early from a high-ankle sprain. Leighton helped the team come back against the Boston Bruins and then shut the Canadiens out in three of the five games in the series.
Both goalies have been great for the Flyers, despite not having the legacy of being high draft picks or regular starters for any team. Boucher is 6-3-1 with a 2.33 GAA and a 91.5 save percentage while Leighton is 6-1-1 with a 1.45 GAA and a 94.8 save percentage.
We’ll have a better idea of Boucher will actually back up Leighton as we get closer to game time on Saturday.
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 0
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 9
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 8
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 44
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 47
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28