May 26, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
Beyond the Chicago Blackhawks offense, Michael Leighton has another thing to worry about: the potential return of Brian Boucher. Philly.com reports that Boucher might be ready to backup Leighton as early as Game 1 on Saturday.
“I think there is a chance, yeah,” Boucher said. “I think today was a day to get through, and it went very well. My goal is to be good enough to go for Game 1 and help in any way.”
Since returning to the ice, he’s had to overcome the mental anxiety of re-injuring himself and dealing with the pain at the same time – which doctors said will linger for “at least another month,” Boucher said.
“It’s very methodical. You’ve got to think about your movements. You don’t want to put yourself in a situation where you might hurt yourself. Today, there was less thinking and it was more just about stopping the puck and moving in situations where I would in a game.”
As you may remember, Boucher went down with knee problems the very game that Leighton came back unexpectedly early from a high-ankle sprain. Leighton helped the team come back against the Boston Bruins and then shut the Canadiens out in three of the five games in the series.
Both goalies have been great for the Flyers, despite not having the legacy of being high draft picks or regular starters for any team. Boucher is 6-3-1 with a 2.33 GAA and a 91.5 save percentage while Leighton is 6-1-1 with a 1.45 GAA and a 94.8 save percentage.
We’ll have a better idea of Boucher will actually back up Leighton as we get closer to game time on Saturday.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)