May 26, 2010, 8:46 PM EST
Generally, a team likes their coach to at least be a part of the
offseason decision making. Of course, when there is no coach in place
that makes it a bit difficult, so teams generally prefer to find their
new coach as soon as possible after the season ends.
that also includes finding the right coach as well.
Scott Howson would much rather take his time and find the right coach,
than rush into filling the vacancy and find himself going through the
same thing again next season. From the AP:
“If it takes well into June, then that’s what it takes,” Howson said
while on a scouting trip to Toronto on Wednesday. “We’re prepared to
make sure that we’ve looked at all opportunities before we make a
There are — currently — three other teams searching for a coach as
well, but Howson says he’s not letting that worry him.
Claude Noel, promoted to interim coach after Ken Hitchcock was fired
in the middle of the season, is a candidate for the full time job with a
three other coaches who have spent most of their time in the AHL.
Generally, a coach doesn’t have much input in the drafting process as
most of the work has been done by the scouting department, so there’s
not a pressing need to have a coach hired anytime soon. Still, it’s a
good idea to have a coach present with the team at the draft, so I’d
expect a decision to be made at least by mid-June.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 63
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 92
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (93)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (87)