May 26, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
There are some big name goalies whose contracts are expiring this season. Some are unrestricted free agents, such as Marty Turco and Evgeni Nabokov. Others are considered restricted, including Jaroslav Halak and Antti Niemi.
Yet Behind the Net reasons that the offseason free agent market is “pretty ugly” and states that teams might be better off going after Tomas Vokoun, a goalie who’s a stat bloggers’ darling and only has one year left on his contract. According to the post, here’s the top 10 free agent goalies based on evening strength save percentage.
- Yann Danis
- Dan Ellis
- Ray Emery
- Chris Mason
- Manny Legace
- Martin Biron
- Peter Budaj
- Alex Auld
That certainly isn’t a “who’s who” of goalies, although Ellis and Emery have had their moments while Turco and Nabokov have name recognition.
How about this opinion from that post?
From Montreal’s perspective, there’s no question in my mind that Price is a better investment than Halak going forward – Halak being more overvalued – but the odds of Montreal moving Halak are about 1-in-a-million.
It’s an interesting point, though. Will Halak end up being just a flash in the pan? After all, he wouldn’t be the first “contract year” goalie …
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22