May 26, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
There are some big name goalies whose contracts are expiring this season. Some are unrestricted free agents, such as Marty Turco and Evgeni Nabokov. Others are considered restricted, including Jaroslav Halak and Antti Niemi.
Yet Behind the Net reasons that the offseason free agent market is “pretty ugly” and states that teams might be better off going after Tomas Vokoun, a goalie who’s a stat bloggers’ darling and only has one year left on his contract. According to the post, here’s the top 10 free agent goalies based on evening strength save percentage.
- Yann Danis
- Dan Ellis
- Ray Emery
- Chris Mason
- Manny Legace
- Martin Biron
- Peter Budaj
- Alex Auld
That certainly isn’t a “who’s who” of goalies, although Ellis and Emery have had their moments while Turco and Nabokov have name recognition.
How about this opinion from that post?
From Montreal’s perspective, there’s no question in my mind that Price is a better investment than Halak going forward – Halak being more overvalued – but the odds of Montreal moving Halak are about 1-in-a-million.
It’s an interesting point, though. Will Halak end up being just a flash in the pan? After all, he wouldn’t be the first “contract year” goalie …
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)