May 26, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
There are some big name goalies whose contracts are expiring this season. Some are unrestricted free agents, such as Marty Turco and Evgeni Nabokov. Others are considered restricted, including Jaroslav Halak and Antti Niemi.
Yet Behind the Net reasons that the offseason free agent market is “pretty ugly” and states that teams might be better off going after Tomas Vokoun, a goalie who’s a stat bloggers’ darling and only has one year left on his contract. According to the post, here’s the top 10 free agent goalies based on evening strength save percentage.
- Yann Danis
- Dan Ellis
- Ray Emery
- Chris Mason
- Manny Legace
- Martin Biron
- Peter Budaj
- Alex Auld
That certainly isn’t a “who’s who” of goalies, although Ellis and Emery have had their moments while Turco and Nabokov have name recognition.
How about this opinion from that post?
From Montreal’s perspective, there’s no question in my mind that Price is a better investment than Halak going forward – Halak being more overvalued – but the odds of Montreal moving Halak are about 1-in-a-million.
It’s an interesting point, though. Will Halak end up being just a flash in the pan? After all, he wouldn’t be the first “contract year” goalie …
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 15
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 57
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 25
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)