May 26, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
There are some big name goalies whose contracts are expiring this season. Some are unrestricted free agents, such as Marty Turco and Evgeni Nabokov. Others are considered restricted, including Jaroslav Halak and Antti Niemi.
Yet Behind the Net reasons that the offseason free agent market is “pretty ugly” and states that teams might be better off going after Tomas Vokoun, a goalie who’s a stat bloggers’ darling and only has one year left on his contract. According to the post, here’s the top 10 free agent goalies based on evening strength save percentage.
- Yann Danis
- Dan Ellis
- Ray Emery
- Chris Mason
- Manny Legace
- Martin Biron
- Peter Budaj
- Alex Auld
That certainly isn’t a “who’s who” of goalies, although Ellis and Emery have had their moments while Turco and Nabokov have name recognition.
How about this opinion from that post?
From Montreal’s perspective, there’s no question in my mind that Price is a better investment than Halak going forward – Halak being more overvalued – but the odds of Montreal moving Halak are about 1-in-a-million.
It’s an interesting point, though. Will Halak end up being just a flash in the pan? After all, he wouldn’t be the first “contract year” goalie …
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 0
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 0
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)