May 26, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
There are some big name goalies whose contracts are expiring this season. Some are unrestricted free agents, such as Marty Turco and Evgeni Nabokov. Others are considered restricted, including Jaroslav Halak and Antti Niemi.
Yet Behind the Net reasons that the offseason free agent market is “pretty ugly” and states that teams might be better off going after Tomas Vokoun, a goalie who’s a stat bloggers’ darling and only has one year left on his contract. According to the post, here’s the top 10 free agent goalies based on evening strength save percentage.
- Yann Danis
- Dan Ellis
- Ray Emery
- Chris Mason
- Manny Legace
- Martin Biron
- Peter Budaj
- Alex Auld
That certainly isn’t a “who’s who” of goalies, although Ellis and Emery have had their moments while Turco and Nabokov have name recognition.
How about this opinion from that post?
From Montreal’s perspective, there’s no question in my mind that Price is a better investment than Halak going forward – Halak being more overvalued – but the odds of Montreal moving Halak are about 1-in-a-million.
It’s an interesting point, though. Will Halak end up being just a flash in the pan? After all, he wouldn’t be the first “contract year” goalie …
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 11
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 20
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 31
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)