May 25, 2010, 9:55 AM EDT
After weeks of speculating, it is expected that Steve Yzerman will be
named as the new general manager of the Tampa Bay Lightning today.
According to a number of media reports, there will be a press conference
this afternoon to make the formal announcement.
has always been associated with the vacant job in Tampa, and the way he
continuously dodged all questions or was continuously vague in his
answers further fueled speculation that he was the number one candidate
and that he was seriously considering the offer.
Yzerman, like Joe
Nieuwendyk, has taken a path straight to the top since retirement as he
hopped on with the Red Wings front office in 2006.
The Tampa Bay Lightning, looking for a new start after firing their coach and general manager in April, as well as all of the ownership issues of the past few seasons, have to be ecstatic to have a person of Yzerman’s character and ability representing their team. He was Executive Director of Team Canada for the 2010 Olympics and has been learning the ropes of the management business under perhaps the best GM in the NHL, Ken Holland.
The Lightning and the fans should not expect an immediate turnaround, as he has a lot of problems to sort through and a lot or rebuilding to get started. There are a number of highly-paid, aging veterans on the team, yet there are still some shining positives to focus on. Steven Stamkos is the obvious one, and perhaps Yzerman can be the one to snap Stamkos out of the “selfish” mold he’s been put into.
conference is scheduled for 3 p.m. this afternoon.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4