May 25, 2010, 9:55 AM EDT
After weeks of speculating, it is expected that Steve Yzerman will be
named as the new general manager of the Tampa Bay Lightning today.
According to a number of media reports, there will be a press conference
this afternoon to make the formal announcement.
has always been associated with the vacant job in Tampa, and the way he
continuously dodged all questions or was continuously vague in his
answers further fueled speculation that he was the number one candidate
and that he was seriously considering the offer.
Yzerman, like Joe
Nieuwendyk, has taken a path straight to the top since retirement as he
hopped on with the Red Wings front office in 2006.
The Tampa Bay Lightning, looking for a new start after firing their coach and general manager in April, as well as all of the ownership issues of the past few seasons, have to be ecstatic to have a person of Yzerman’s character and ability representing their team. He was Executive Director of Team Canada for the 2010 Olympics and has been learning the ropes of the management business under perhaps the best GM in the NHL, Ken Holland.
The Lightning and the fans should not expect an immediate turnaround, as he has a lot of problems to sort through and a lot or rebuilding to get started. There are a number of highly-paid, aging veterans on the team, yet there are still some shining positives to focus on. Steven Stamkos is the obvious one, and perhaps Yzerman can be the one to snap Stamkos out of the “selfish” mold he’s been put into.
conference is scheduled for 3 p.m. this afternoon.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39