May 25, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
Adam Foote will spend one more season in the NHL and one more year with the Colorado Avalanche, as Adrian Dater is reporting he has signed a one-year contract with the Avs worth $1 million base salary, plus incentives.
Foote is about as far from the new breed of “offensive defensemen” as you can get, with just 66 goals in over 1,100 NHL games. But he’s also the veteran defensive presence that the Avalanche will need moving next season, as they make the transition from overachieving young team to a team with high expectations next season.
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 2
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 6
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 14
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28