May 24, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
One could make a strong argument that yesterday was the biggest day of hockey – beyond just the NHL – in all of 2010. Seriously, there were some huge games played on a world scale Sunday. In case you missed the three biggest outcomes, here’s a summary of the action, including PHT takes on each event.
Chicago sweeps San Jose with 4-2 win; Blackhawks make the Stanley Cup finals
Duncan Keith gave up seven of his teeth. Dustin Byfuglien scored his second game winning goal in a row (more on that later). Antti Niemi didn’t need to be quite as dominant (2 goals allowed on 18 shots) but nonetheless had a great series. Overall, the Chicago Blackhawks were downright amazing in their sweep of the Sharks. Really, the only thing the team needs to worry about at this point is their Eastern Conference foes and – maybe more than that – the myriad writers and fans who might jinx them by appointing the Blackhawks the Stanley Cup winners before they play a single finals match.
Czechs stun Russians for World Championships gold
Jaromir Jagr was vocal about his displeasure regarding Czech stars passing on the tournament. Well, now he must be happy they never showed up. The scrappy Czechs managed to beat the angry, star-packed Russian team 2-1 to claim an unexpected gold medal. Meanwhile, the Russians took the silver medal while Sweden managed to snag a bronze.
Taylor Hall and the Windsor Spitfires dominate the Brandon Wheat Kings to win the Memorial Cup
I can’t help but wonder if the Taylor Hall-Tyler Seguin debate is already over, although the Combine hasn’t taken place yet. Still, Hall became the first player in Memorial Cup history to win the tournament’s MVP in back-to-back years. The Spitfires are drawing “one of the best junior teams ever” praise as they, too, won the Memorial Cup for consecutive seasons. They did so by embarrassing the host team Brandon Wheat Kings 9-1. Are Edmonton Oilers fans already getting excited about Hall?
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)