May 24, 2010, 12:20 PM EDT
A few moments ago I reported that Carolina Hurricanes owner Peter Karmanos was looking to sell 50 percent – maybe more – of the team, preferably to someone in the local North Carolina area. The team issued a statement mentioning that Karmanos has been looking to find a replacement since his partner’s death in 2008 and that the hiring of Allen & Co. is meant to expedite the process in finding a minority partner.
The News & Observer goes one further, stating that the news on the sale is “much ado over very little” and reports that the potential partial sale has been going on for six years. Here’s more from Luke DeCock.
At any rate, Karmanos’ decision to seek help finding a buyer for Thewes’ shares — and presumably some of Karmanos’ own — in the team isn’t groundbreaking. It’s an incremental move forward in a process that has taken too long already.
Does this guarantee that Karmanos won’t sell a substantial part of the team, though? If history tells us anything, these things can change rapidly. I’m not saying Karmanos is going to sell half or all of the team, just that it’s far from impossible.
Still, at the moment, we’ll act as if this report isn’t that big of a deal after all. For now, at least. Maybe.
(Thanks to HMoF2 on Twitter for the clarification.)
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 0
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 10
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 64
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 48
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)