May 24, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
During the weekend, Toronto Maple Leafs GM – also, the man who put together the silver medal winning US team – Brian Burke called for the IIHF World Championships to take the year off during Winter Olympic years. (Perhaps it’s worth mentioning that Burke is also the manager of a U.S. squad that floundered into the relegation round during the summer tournament.) TSN has more on Burke’s stance.
“If you ask 30 GMs, they would tell you this is a tournament that should be played every other year. Not only eliminate the Olympic year but play it every other year,” said Burke. “The minimum solution for me would be to drop it in Olympic years. I’d like someone from the IIHF to explain to me why we do instead of dinging our players for not going.”
My general rule with hockey – and other things in life that are awesome – is “the more, the merrier.” Still, hockey is a violent sport and NHL players already exposed themselves to a full season plus that fantastic, high-pressure Winter Olympics run. Ideally, the World Championships would go on every year but athletes would have very little expectations to show up each year.
So, you have Burke’s stance and my stance. Now let’s hear what you think. We’ll skip over the “every other year” talk and just see if you think the tournament should take place the same year as the Olympics.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)