May 24, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
During the weekend, Toronto Maple Leafs GM - also, the man who put together the silver medal winning US team – Brian Burke called for the IIHF World Championships to take the year off during Winter Olympic years. (Perhaps it’s worth mentioning that Burke is also the manager of a U.S. squad that floundered into the relegation round during the summer tournament.) TSN has more on Burke’s stance.
“If you ask 30 GMs, they would tell you this is a tournament that should be played every other year. Not only eliminate the Olympic year but play it every other year,” said Burke. “The minimum solution for me would be to drop it in Olympic years. I’d like someone from the IIHF to explain to me why we do instead of dinging our players for not going.”
My general rule with hockey – and other things in life that are awesome – is “the more, the merrier.” Still, hockey is a violent sport and NHL players already exposed themselves to a full season plus that fantastic, high-pressure Winter Olympics run. Ideally, the World Championships would go on every year but athletes would have very little expectations to show up each year.
So, you have Burke’s stance and my stance. Now let’s hear what you think. We’ll skip over the “every other year” talk and just see if you think the tournament should take place the same year as the Olympics.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off