May 24, 2010, 1:00 PM EST
During the weekend, Toronto Maple Leafs GM - also, the man who put together the silver medal winning US team – Brian Burke called for the IIHF World Championships to take the year off during Winter Olympic years. (Perhaps it’s worth mentioning that Burke is also the manager of a U.S. squad that floundered into the relegation round during the summer tournament.) TSN has more on Burke’s stance.
“If you ask 30 GMs, they would tell you this is a tournament that should be played every other year. Not only eliminate the Olympic year but play it every other year,” said Burke. “The minimum solution for me would be to drop it in Olympic years. I’d like someone from the IIHF to explain to me why we do instead of dinging our players for not going.”
My general rule with hockey – and other things in life that are awesome – is “the more, the merrier.” Still, hockey is a violent sport and NHL players already exposed themselves to a full season plus that fantastic, high-pressure Winter Olympics run. Ideally, the World Championships would go on every year but athletes would have very little expectations to show up each year.
So, you have Burke’s stance and my stance. Now let’s hear what you think. We’ll skip over the “every other year” talk and just see if you think the tournament should take place the same year as the Olympics.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 1
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 29
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 14
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 76
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)