May 24, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
During the weekend, Toronto Maple Leafs GM – also, the man who put together the silver medal winning US team – Brian Burke called for the IIHF World Championships to take the year off during Winter Olympic years. (Perhaps it’s worth mentioning that Burke is also the manager of a U.S. squad that floundered into the relegation round during the summer tournament.) TSN has more on Burke’s stance.
“If you ask 30 GMs, they would tell you this is a tournament that should be played every other year. Not only eliminate the Olympic year but play it every other year,” said Burke. “The minimum solution for me would be to drop it in Olympic years. I’d like someone from the IIHF to explain to me why we do instead of dinging our players for not going.”
My general rule with hockey – and other things in life that are awesome – is “the more, the merrier.” Still, hockey is a violent sport and NHL players already exposed themselves to a full season plus that fantastic, high-pressure Winter Olympics run. Ideally, the World Championships would go on every year but athletes would have very little expectations to show up each year.
So, you have Burke’s stance and my stance. Now let’s hear what you think. We’ll skip over the “every other year” talk and just see if you think the tournament should take place the same year as the Olympics.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)