May 24, 2010, 7:50 PM EDT
Montreal has been accustomed to having their backs against the wall during these playoffs. They fought back against the Capitals in Round 1 and did the same against the Penguins in Round 2. Having to do the same against the Flyers this round seems like it’s asking too much of the #8 seed in the Eastern Conference. When Brian Gionta scored his ninth goal of the playoffs just 59 seconds into the first period tonight in Game 5, you had to wonder if perhaps the Habs had the Flyers right where they wanted them.
With all that positive momentum going for them, however, Mike Richards took it all away three and a half minutes later scoring shorthanded to knot the game up at 1-1, where the teams sit after one period of play at Wachovia Center in Philadelphia. While the Flyers find themselves being outshot early on in this one 9-6, all of their shots have come off as quality scoring chances, something that has to trouble Canadiens coach Jacques Martin.
Montreal has to do something with their anemic power play in this game as they went 0-3 on the power play with a shorthanded goal allowed. That’s one heck of a recipe for disaster.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 41
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)