May 24, 2010, 7:50 PM EST
Montreal has been accustomed to having their backs against the wall during these playoffs. They fought back against the Capitals in Round 1 and did the same against the Penguins in Round 2. Having to do the same against the Flyers this round seems like it’s asking too much of the #8 seed in the Eastern Conference. When Brian Gionta scored his ninth goal of the playoffs just 59 seconds into the first period tonight in Game 5, you had to wonder if perhaps the Habs had the Flyers right where they wanted them.
With all that positive momentum going for them, however, Mike Richards took it all away three and a half minutes later scoring shorthanded to knot the game up at 1-1, where the teams sit after one period of play at Wachovia Center in Philadelphia. While the Flyers find themselves being outshot early on in this one 9-6, all of their shots have come off as quality scoring chances, something that has to trouble Canadiens coach Jacques Martin.
Montreal has to do something with their anemic power play in this game as they went 0-3 on the power play with a shorthanded goal allowed. That’s one heck of a recipe for disaster.
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 2
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 20
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 29
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)