May 24, 2010, 8:53 PM EST
You had a feeling that once Mike Richards scored shorthanded in the first period to tie the game that this game was going to start heading in the wrong direction for the Montreal Canadiens. Consider that gut feeling fulfilled as the Philadelphia Flyers are now 20 minutes away from reaching the Stanley Cup finals for the first time since 1997.
At 3:07 of the second period, Arron Asham was able to wheel and deal and get Habs netminder Jaroslav Halak out of position to break the 1-1 tie. Just a minute and a half later, Jeff Carter would receive a quick pass from behind the net from Mike Richards and rip the snap shot over Halak’s left shoulder and into the net to give the Flyers a 3-1 lead. Montreal would do nothing to help their own cause, taking a couple of bad penalties late even giving Philadelphia an extended 5-on-3 power play. While the Habs would kill it off, spending any inordinate amount of time not playing offense will doom the Canadiens.
Philadelphia, with help from the Habs penalty problems, would outshoot Montreal 12-6 in the second period, giving the Flyers a two period advantage 18-15. It’s happened already in the playoffs, but this is gut check time for Montreal and they’ll need to get a goal fast to try and take the crowd out of the game and seize the momentum.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)