May 24, 2010, 8:53 PM EDT
You had a feeling that once Mike Richards scored shorthanded in the first period to tie the game that this game was going to start heading in the wrong direction for the Montreal Canadiens. Consider that gut feeling fulfilled as the Philadelphia Flyers are now 20 minutes away from reaching the Stanley Cup finals for the first time since 1997.
At 3:07 of the second period, Arron Asham was able to wheel and deal and get Habs netminder Jaroslav Halak out of position to break the 1-1 tie. Just a minute and a half later, Jeff Carter would receive a quick pass from behind the net from Mike Richards and rip the snap shot over Halak’s left shoulder and into the net to give the Flyers a 3-1 lead. Montreal would do nothing to help their own cause, taking a couple of bad penalties late even giving Philadelphia an extended 5-on-3 power play. While the Habs would kill it off, spending any inordinate amount of time not playing offense will doom the Canadiens.
Philadelphia, with help from the Habs penalty problems, would outshoot Montreal 12-6 in the second period, giving the Flyers a two period advantage 18-15. It’s happened already in the playoffs, but this is gut check time for Montreal and they’ll need to get a goal fast to try and take the crowd out of the game and seize the momentum.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)