May 24, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
As the Chicago Blackhawks watch on/heal their wounds/get some dental work done, the Flyers host the Habs in what could be the final game of the Eastern Conference finals. Let’s take a look at some of the storylines of the game along with where you can find coverage.
Montreal Canadiens at Philadelphia Flyers – 7:00 PM ET (Versus, CBC)
Flyers lead series 3-1
It could be a rowdy game tonight. Both clubs haven’t won a Stanley Cup in a long, long time. Each city has made things a bit less hospitable for their visitors than what is normally seen in pro sports. In Philadelphia, hooligans damaged the car of a visiting Montreal reporter. In Montreal, there is some intrigue over who or what exactly caused what I like to call Sand-on-Skategate.
Either way, both teams have been deadly in elimination game situations. The Flyers callously dealt with the New Jersey Devils in Round 1 before stunning the Boston Bruins by winning four in a row after going down 3-0 in that series. The Canadiens are used to fighting with their backs against the wall as they beat Washington after going down 3-1 and Pittsburgh after going down 3-2.
Will we see a more wide-open style from the Canadiens to take advantage of their speed? Probably not, as they most likely will live or die by their “depend heavily on counter-punching and Jaroslav Halak working miracles” strategy. Can the Habs do it again? Stranger things have happened already in this year’s playoffs …
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)