May 23, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
Last season, the Dallas Stars operated without an AHL affiliate while
waiting a year for their new, local affiliate to get up and running.
The Texas Stars, based out of Austin, kicked off their inaugural season
in September, 2009 and instantly became a hit with the locals.
that? Yes, you read that right; AHL hockey was a success in Austin,
It’s not exactly your traditional hockey crowd (there’s
just as many Texas Longhorns hats as there are Stars hats) but the fans
that do come to the game are enthusiastic, loud and knowledgeable about
the game of hockey.
One reason the team has been so successful in
just their first season has been their success on the ice; the Stars
have been at or near the top of their division all season long. Yet the
Stars also had an extremely high number of preseason ticket sales.
showing that the sport of hockey is viable in such a ‘non-traditional’
locale as Austin, Texas.
With the Stars facing the Hamilton
Bulldogs this past week in the AHL conference finals, we’ve also been
shown that perhaps all the talk about Canada needing another hockey team
is perhaps a bit premature.
With Jim Balsillie hoping to buy the
Phoenix Coyotes and move them to Hamilton, Ontario last summer, the
internet erupted in arguments on how a town like Hamilton ‘deserved’ a
NHL team more than Phoenix and would certainly be a better financial
option. Despite another NHL team being in the area, we were assured that
fans in the area would flock to see an NHL team.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)