May 23, 2010, 4:15 PM EST
Last season, the Dallas Stars operated without an AHL affiliate while
waiting a year for their new, local affiliate to get up and running.
The Texas Stars, based out of Austin, kicked off their inaugural season
in September, 2009 and instantly became a hit with the locals.
that? Yes, you read that right; AHL hockey was a success in Austin,
It’s not exactly your traditional hockey crowd (there’s
just as many Texas Longhorns hats as there are Stars hats) but the fans
that do come to the game are enthusiastic, loud and knowledgeable about
the game of hockey.
One reason the team has been so successful in
just their first season has been their success on the ice; the Stars
have been at or near the top of their division all season long. Yet the
Stars also had an extremely high number of preseason ticket sales.
showing that the sport of hockey is viable in such a ‘non-traditional’
locale as Austin, Texas.
With the Stars facing the Hamilton
Bulldogs this past week in the AHL conference finals, we’ve also been
shown that perhaps all the talk about Canada needing another hockey team
is perhaps a bit premature.
With Jim Balsillie hoping to buy the
Phoenix Coyotes and move them to Hamilton, Ontario last summer, the
internet erupted in arguments on how a town like Hamilton ‘deserved’ a
NHL team more than Phoenix and would certainly be a better financial
option. Despite another NHL team being in the area, we were assured that
fans in the area would flock to see an NHL team.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 16
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 63
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (68)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)