May 23, 2010, 5:56 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks managed to finally get their first two-goal lead of the series, but failed to hang on as the Chicago Blackhawks scored four unanswered goals to win the game and sweep the Conference finals, 4-0.
The Sharks played about as well as could be hoped, yet were unable to respond with the Blackhawks took the game to a different level late in the second period and on into the third. A borderline penalty call late in the third led to a Dustin Byfuglien power play goal, before Kris Versteeg iced the game and the series with an empty-netter in the final minute.
For the Blackhawks, the door is now open for the Stanley Cup, just four wins away from justifying all of the bad years, all of the high draft picks and salary spent.
The Sharks must regroup, and look at what was perhaps their final chance to get this far as it’s likely the Sharks will a have a bit of a different team next season.
We’ll have more on this game and the series win by the Blackhawks coming up.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)