May 22, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
There were more than a few close calls in the first period of Game 4, but it ended 0-0. Unlike the previous three games of this series, neither team built a clear and undeniable advantage.
Jeff Carter and Ian Laperriere returned for the Flyers in this one and seem like they’re fitting in well. Dan Carcillo was scratched in this one after his semi-typical shenanigans.
Like I said, there were definitely some close calls on partial odd man rushes, but possibly the most memorable moment happened when Hal Gill laid down to keep a puck out of Montreal’s net. It was a mad scramble in Jaroslav Halak’s crease that didn’t result in a penalty. While I haven’t had the opportunity to pour over the replay(s) over and over again, it looked like Gill never closed his hand on the puck, which is the telltale sign that a penalty shot should happen.
It’s not too surprising that this game is a lot more close-to-the-vest than the last three. Montreal only put seven shots on goal while Philadelphia only sent five Halak’s way. Considering the stakes in this one, expect some tight checking hockey. You never really know, honestly, but my guess it that it will be a low scoring affair.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 60
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 3
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (60)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)