May 22, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
There were more than a few close calls in the first period of Game 4, but it ended 0-0. Unlike the previous three games of this series, neither team built a clear and undeniable advantage.
Jeff Carter and Ian Laperriere returned for the Flyers in this one and seem like they’re fitting in well. Dan Carcillo was scratched in this one after his semi-typical shenanigans.
Like I said, there were definitely some close calls on partial odd man rushes, but possibly the most memorable moment happened when Hal Gill laid down to keep a puck out of Montreal’s net. It was a mad scramble in Jaroslav Halak’s crease that didn’t result in a penalty. While I haven’t had the opportunity to pour over the replay(s) over and over again, it looked like Gill never closed his hand on the puck, which is the telltale sign that a penalty shot should happen.
It’s not too surprising that this game is a lot more close-to-the-vest than the last three. Montreal only put seven shots on goal while Philadelphia only sent five Halak’s way. Considering the stakes in this one, expect some tight checking hockey. You never really know, honestly, but my guess it that it will be a low scoring affair.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 7
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 15
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 15
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)