May 22, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
There were more than a few close calls in the first period of Game 4, but it ended 0-0. Unlike the previous three games of this series, neither team built a clear and undeniable advantage.
Jeff Carter and Ian Laperriere returned for the Flyers in this one and seem like they’re fitting in well. Dan Carcillo was scratched in this one after his semi-typical shenanigans.
Like I said, there were definitely some close calls on partial odd man rushes, but possibly the most memorable moment happened when Hal Gill laid down to keep a puck out of Montreal’s net. It was a mad scramble in Jaroslav Halak’s crease that didn’t result in a penalty. While I haven’t had the opportunity to pour over the replay(s) over and over again, it looked like Gill never closed his hand on the puck, which is the telltale sign that a penalty shot should happen.
It’s not too surprising that this game is a lot more close-to-the-vest than the last three. Montreal only put seven shots on goal while Philadelphia only sent five Halak’s way. Considering the stakes in this one, expect some tight checking hockey. You never really know, honestly, but my guess it that it will be a low scoring affair.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)