May 22, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
There were more than a few close calls in the first period of Game 4, but it ended 0-0. Unlike the previous three games of this series, neither team built a clear and undeniable advantage.
Jeff Carter and Ian Laperriere returned for the Flyers in this one and seem like they’re fitting in well. Dan Carcillo was scratched in this one after his semi-typical shenanigans.
Like I said, there were definitely some close calls on partial odd man rushes, but possibly the most memorable moment happened when Hal Gill laid down to keep a puck out of Montreal’s net. It was a mad scramble in Jaroslav Halak’s crease that didn’t result in a penalty. While I haven’t had the opportunity to pour over the replay(s) over and over again, it looked like Gill never closed his hand on the puck, which is the telltale sign that a penalty shot should happen.
It’s not too surprising that this game is a lot more close-to-the-vest than the last three. Montreal only put seven shots on goal while Philadelphia only sent five Halak’s way. Considering the stakes in this one, expect some tight checking hockey. You never really know, honestly, but my guess it that it will be a low scoring affair.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 43
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)