May 22, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
We’ve had some nice coverage of today’s upcoming Flyers-Canadiens tilt. Here’s the game preview and a story about the so-far-huge effect of home ice advantage on the series. To give you a little more information going into the game, I thought I’d throw some math at you.
Some are simple but some are a little more interesting. Let’s have a little fun with numbers. Some of them come from this game preview.
- So far for the playoffs, the Flyers have 47 goals for and 34 goals against (+13) while the Canadiens have 44 goals for and 50 goals against (-6).
- The Flyers scored 17 goals on the powerplay while allowing 10 shorthanded (+7) while the Canadiens allowed one more (13) on the kill than they scored with the man advantage (12).
- Michael Cammalleri leads the playoffs with 13 goals. That’s fourth all-time among Montreal Canadiens players in the playoffs. He’s really good.
- Like I mentioned in that home ice advantage post, the home team outscored the road team 14-1 in the three games of this series so far.
- Two years ago, the Flyers also led their best-of-7 series against Montreal, 2-1, before winning Games 4 and 5.
- Scott Gomez – yes, that Gomez – is the Habs’ penalty minute leader with 25. Philly’s PIM leader is predictably Dan Carcillo (30).
- Mike Richards hasn’t been far behind Cammalleri, points wise, with 18 to Cammalleri’s 19. Those totals lead their teams, by the way, although Briere is tied with Richards with 18 as well.
- Jaroslav Halak is still without a shutout, which seems like the only thing the Slovakian goalie can’t accomplish in these playoffs. Meanwhile, Michael Leighton already has 2 SO’s and only played in six games so far.
- Somehow the rough-and-tumble Flyers and small-but-scrappy Canadiens average the same amount of PIM per game (12).
- One thing we can be certain of: at least one of these teams won’t be undefeated in games that they can be eliminated. Unless the world ends before they play a hypothetical Game 7 … (not ideal)
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 6
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 21
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 39
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (40)