May 22, 2010, 4:58 PM EDT
After a relatively even first period, the Philadelphia Flyers bombarded the sleepy Montreal Canadiens in the second period. To say it was domination is an understatement; the Flyers deserved at least the 2-0 lead they built after ridiculously out-shot the Canadiens 13 to 1.
Claude Giroux and Ville Leino scored two beauties after they managed to sneak behind the Habs defense. I don’t think you can really blame Jaroslav Halak for either one of those goals. Really, Montreal is lucky to even be in this one after what was a weak second period.
One important thing to note, though, is that it’s only a two goal lead. For as bad as the Canadiens have been, all it will take is one goal to get that rabid crowd back in the game. They’ll have to open things up a little bit to do that, but they managed to survive such situations before in the playoffs.
Otherwise, the Canadiens will have to fight through another treacherous 3-1 deficit. Can they manage to win three straight games against a bigger, meaner Flyers team? They’d be best to avoid that.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 14
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 17
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)