May 22, 2010, 4:58 PM EDT
After a relatively even first period, the Philadelphia Flyers bombarded the sleepy Montreal Canadiens in the second period. To say it was domination is an understatement; the Flyers deserved at least the 2-0 lead they built after ridiculously out-shot the Canadiens 13 to 1.
Claude Giroux and Ville Leino scored two beauties after they managed to sneak behind the Habs defense. I don’t think you can really blame Jaroslav Halak for either one of those goals. Really, Montreal is lucky to even be in this one after what was a weak second period.
One important thing to note, though, is that it’s only a two goal lead. For as bad as the Canadiens have been, all it will take is one goal to get that rabid crowd back in the game. They’ll have to open things up a little bit to do that, but they managed to survive such situations before in the playoffs.
Otherwise, the Canadiens will have to fight through another treacherous 3-1 deficit. Can they manage to win three straight games against a bigger, meaner Flyers team? They’d be best to avoid that.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)