May 22, 2010, 4:58 PM EDT
After a relatively even first period, the Philadelphia Flyers bombarded the sleepy Montreal Canadiens in the second period. To say it was domination is an understatement; the Flyers deserved at least the 2-0 lead they built after ridiculously out-shot the Canadiens 13 to 1.
Claude Giroux and Ville Leino scored two beauties after they managed to sneak behind the Habs defense. I don’t think you can really blame Jaroslav Halak for either one of those goals. Really, Montreal is lucky to even be in this one after what was a weak second period.
One important thing to note, though, is that it’s only a two goal lead. For as bad as the Canadiens have been, all it will take is one goal to get that rabid crowd back in the game. They’ll have to open things up a little bit to do that, but they managed to survive such situations before in the playoffs.
Otherwise, the Canadiens will have to fight through another treacherous 3-1 deficit. Can they manage to win three straight games against a bigger, meaner Flyers team? They’d be best to avoid that.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)