May 21, 2010, 4:47 PM EST
While we understand that keeping track of the IIHF World Championships is often an afterthought of hockey fans (and some players alike) it’s not short on drama and explosive words. After Russia took out Canada 5-2 in the quarterfinals, Russian and Washington Capitals goaltender Semyon Varlamov was asked about Canada’s tough tactics used against the team and in particular Alexander Ovechkin from Ducks forward Corey Perry.
“In general Team Canada played very roughly. When the score was 3-0 [Corey] Perry slashed Sasha [Ovechkin] from behind. That was really dirty. I’m sure that Perry did want to injure him.”
Yikes. As if that wasn’t damning enough, Varlamov elaborated further about questionable Team Canada selection Steve Downie.
“…But in Team Canada there are two players like that. Perry and [Steve] Downie. And the second one really confirms his surname. You know what I mean. He behaved shamefully.”
So, wait, just what did Varlamov mean about him living up to his surname? The Washington Examiner’s Dmitry Chesnokov clarified what he meant via Twitter.
Varlamov: “Perry and Downie played dirty. Downie’s last name is justified.” Varly hints that Downie has a Down syndrome. Ouch!
Aside from this being patently offensive, it’s not the first time Varlamov has said something that’s sure to rankle everyone’s feelings. Keep in mind, this is the same guy that last year said he doesn’t care for American women because they’re fat. I’m sure you’ve all been eagerly awaiting the arrival of the John Rocker of the NHL, I’m sure you all figured he would just be a Canadian or an American and not a Russian.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)