May 21, 2010, 10:56 AM EDT
People always say that, “time heals all wounds,” and Jeremy Roenick would like to tell those people to go shut their collective faces. If the Stanley Cup finals comes down to a couple of JR’s former teams, Chicago and Philadelphia, who would Roenick side with? Well…
“I said if you had a gun to my head, I said I did have to [root for the Flyers],” Roenick said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “I didn’t want to leave in 1996. If I have to choose, then I have to choose, that’s just what it is.”
Roenick currently is an analyst for NBC.
“I love Flyer fans, I love Chicago fans,” he said. “Chicago was great to me. Philly was great to me.
“I’m not choosing anybody unless you put a gun to my head, and then I’d have to have a little bit of a choice.”
Hang on while I wrap my head around it being that it was 1996 when Roenick was traded from Chicago to Phoenix for Alexei Zhamnov, Craig Mills and a 1st Round pick that later became a guy named Ty Jones. Roenick has never been a guy to pull his punches ever in his career (the above quote about choosing a team notwithstanding) and for him to say that he’s still a bit tweaked that he was traded from the team he made his name in the league with isn’t really surprising.
Of course, Roenick softens the blow to Chicago fans by going on to say that he thinks the Blackhawks will, likely, win it all this year. Perhaps JR has a career in politics ahead of him with this kind of waffling.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 67
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)