May 21, 2010, 10:56 AM EST
People always say that, “time heals all wounds,” and Jeremy Roenick would like to tell those people to go shut their collective faces. If the Stanley Cup finals comes down to a couple of JR’s former teams, Chicago and Philadelphia, who would Roenick side with? Well…
“I said if you had a gun to my head, I said I did have to [root for the Flyers],” Roenick said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “I didn’t want to leave in 1996. If I have to choose, then I have to choose, that’s just what it is.”
Roenick currently is an analyst for NBC.
“I love Flyer fans, I love Chicago fans,” he said. “Chicago was great to me. Philly was great to me.
“I’m not choosing anybody unless you put a gun to my head, and then I’d have to have a little bit of a choice.”
Hang on while I wrap my head around it being that it was 1996 when Roenick was traded from Chicago to Phoenix for Alexei Zhamnov, Craig Mills and a 1st Round pick that later became a guy named Ty Jones. Roenick has never been a guy to pull his punches ever in his career (the above quote about choosing a team notwithstanding) and for him to say that he’s still a bit tweaked that he was traded from the team he made his name in the league with isn’t really surprising.
Of course, Roenick softens the blow to Chicago fans by going on to say that he thinks the Blackhawks will, likely, win it all this year. Perhaps JR has a career in politics ahead of him with this kind of waffling.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 0
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 28
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 37
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)