May 21, 2010, 10:56 AM EDT
People always say that, “time heals all wounds,” and Jeremy Roenick would like to tell those people to go shut their collective faces. If the Stanley Cup finals comes down to a couple of JR’s former teams, Chicago and Philadelphia, who would Roenick side with? Well…
“I said if you had a gun to my head, I said I did have to [root for the Flyers],” Roenick said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “I didn’t want to leave in 1996. If I have to choose, then I have to choose, that’s just what it is.”
Roenick currently is an analyst for NBC.
“I love Flyer fans, I love Chicago fans,” he said. “Chicago was great to me. Philly was great to me.
“I’m not choosing anybody unless you put a gun to my head, and then I’d have to have a little bit of a choice.”
Hang on while I wrap my head around it being that it was 1996 when Roenick was traded from Chicago to Phoenix for Alexei Zhamnov, Craig Mills and a 1st Round pick that later became a guy named Ty Jones. Roenick has never been a guy to pull his punches ever in his career (the above quote about choosing a team notwithstanding) and for him to say that he’s still a bit tweaked that he was traded from the team he made his name in the league with isn’t really surprising.
Of course, Roenick softens the blow to Chicago fans by going on to say that he thinks the Blackhawks will, likely, win it all this year. Perhaps JR has a career in politics ahead of him with this kind of waffling.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)