May 21, 2010, 10:56 AM EDT
People always say that, “time heals all wounds,” and Jeremy Roenick would like to tell those people to go shut their collective faces. If the Stanley Cup finals comes down to a couple of JR’s former teams, Chicago and Philadelphia, who would Roenick side with? Well…
“I said if you had a gun to my head, I said I did have to [root for the Flyers],” Roenick said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “I didn’t want to leave in 1996. If I have to choose, then I have to choose, that’s just what it is.”
Roenick currently is an analyst for NBC.
“I love Flyer fans, I love Chicago fans,” he said. “Chicago was great to me. Philly was great to me.
“I’m not choosing anybody unless you put a gun to my head, and then I’d have to have a little bit of a choice.”
Hang on while I wrap my head around it being that it was 1996 when Roenick was traded from Chicago to Phoenix for Alexei Zhamnov, Craig Mills and a 1st Round pick that later became a guy named Ty Jones. Roenick has never been a guy to pull his punches ever in his career (the above quote about choosing a team notwithstanding) and for him to say that he’s still a bit tweaked that he was traded from the team he made his name in the league with isn’t really surprising.
Of course, Roenick softens the blow to Chicago fans by going on to say that he thinks the Blackhawks will, likely, win it all this year. Perhaps JR has a career in politics ahead of him with this kind of waffling.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 24
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)