May 21, 2010, 10:56 AM EDT
People always say that, “time heals all wounds,” and Jeremy Roenick would like to tell those people to go shut their collective faces. If the Stanley Cup finals comes down to a couple of JR’s former teams, Chicago and Philadelphia, who would Roenick side with? Well…
“I said if you had a gun to my head, I said I did have to [root for the Flyers],” Roenick said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “I didn’t want to leave in 1996. If I have to choose, then I have to choose, that’s just what it is.”
Roenick currently is an analyst for NBC.
“I love Flyer fans, I love Chicago fans,” he said. “Chicago was great to me. Philly was great to me.
“I’m not choosing anybody unless you put a gun to my head, and then I’d have to have a little bit of a choice.”
Hang on while I wrap my head around it being that it was 1996 when Roenick was traded from Chicago to Phoenix for Alexei Zhamnov, Craig Mills and a 1st Round pick that later became a guy named Ty Jones. Roenick has never been a guy to pull his punches ever in his career (the above quote about choosing a team notwithstanding) and for him to say that he’s still a bit tweaked that he was traded from the team he made his name in the league with isn’t really surprising.
Of course, Roenick softens the blow to Chicago fans by going on to say that he thinks the Blackhawks will, likely, win it all this year. Perhaps JR has a career in politics ahead of him with this kind of waffling.
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 10
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 38
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 95
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 26
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)