May 21, 2010, 1:22 PM EDT
File this one away under “stuff we don’t like to hear about.” Los Angeles Kings assistant coach and former player Mark Hardy was arrested in Washington, D.C. for misdemeanor sexual abuse.
Eyewitness News has confirmed Hardy was taken into custody overnight at the Mayflower Hotel. Police said the complaint came from a woman in her 20s who claimed to be a relative of Hardy’s.
Hardy is set to be arraigned Friday unless he posts bail.
Like I said, we don’t like to have to share news on these sorts of things, but it’s news and real life is ugly sometimes. Hardy was a member of the Kings in the early 1980s and was also later with the team when Wayne Gretzky was bringing the Kings into their limelight in the early 90s. Hardy also played for the Minnesota North Stars and New York Rangers in his career. As an assistant coach, Hardy has worked with both Andy and Terry Murray in Los Angeles and with Denis Savard in his ill-fated short coaching career in Chicago.
An update on this story and from all places, TMZ.
A former L.A. Kings hockey player-turned-assistant
coach was arrested this morning in Washington D.C. for allegedly
sexually abusing a 21-year-old woman — his own daughter.
has learned 51-year-old Mark Hardy is in police custody
after his daughter told cops that Mark “put his hand down [her] shorts
and touched her genital area without her permission.”
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabres in franchise history 15
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17