May 21, 2010, 1:22 PM EDT
File this one away under “stuff we don’t like to hear about.” Los Angeles Kings assistant coach and former player Mark Hardy was arrested in Washington, D.C. for misdemeanor sexual abuse.
Eyewitness News has confirmed Hardy was taken into custody overnight at the Mayflower Hotel. Police said the complaint came from a woman in her 20s who claimed to be a relative of Hardy’s.
Hardy is set to be arraigned Friday unless he posts bail.
Like I said, we don’t like to have to share news on these sorts of things, but it’s news and real life is ugly sometimes. Hardy was a member of the Kings in the early 1980s and was also later with the team when Wayne Gretzky was bringing the Kings into their limelight in the early 90s. Hardy also played for the Minnesota North Stars and New York Rangers in his career. As an assistant coach, Hardy has worked with both Andy and Terry Murray in Los Angeles and with Denis Savard in his ill-fated short coaching career in Chicago.
An update on this story and from all places, TMZ.
A former L.A. Kings hockey player-turned-assistant
coach was arrested this morning in Washington D.C. for allegedly
sexually abusing a 21-year-old woman — his own daughter.
has learned 51-year-old Mark Hardy is in police custody
after his daughter told cops that Mark “put his hand down [her] shorts
and touched her genital area without her permission.”
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 15
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 11
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)