May 21, 2010, 1:22 PM EST
File this one away under “stuff we don’t like to hear about.” Los Angeles Kings assistant coach and former player Mark Hardy was arrested in Washington, D.C. for misdemeanor sexual abuse.
Eyewitness News has confirmed Hardy was taken into custody overnight at the Mayflower Hotel. Police said the complaint came from a woman in her 20s who claimed to be a relative of Hardy’s.
Hardy is set to be arraigned Friday unless he posts bail.
Like I said, we don’t like to have to share news on these sorts of things, but it’s news and real life is ugly sometimes. Hardy was a member of the Kings in the early 1980s and was also later with the team when Wayne Gretzky was bringing the Kings into their limelight in the early 90s. Hardy also played for the Minnesota North Stars and New York Rangers in his career. As an assistant coach, Hardy has worked with both Andy and Terry Murray in Los Angeles and with Denis Savard in his ill-fated short coaching career in Chicago.
An update on this story and from all places, TMZ.
A former L.A. Kings hockey player-turned-assistant
coach was arrested this morning in Washington D.C. for allegedly
sexually abusing a 21-year-old woman — his own daughter.
has learned 51-year-old Mark Hardy is in police custody
after his daughter told cops that Mark “put his hand down [her] shorts
and touched her genital area without her permission.”
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 11
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 28
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 63
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)