May 21, 2010, 1:22 PM EST
File this one away under “stuff we don’t like to hear about.” Los Angeles Kings assistant coach and former player Mark Hardy was arrested in Washington, D.C. for misdemeanor sexual abuse.
Eyewitness News has confirmed Hardy was taken into custody overnight at the Mayflower Hotel. Police said the complaint came from a woman in her 20s who claimed to be a relative of Hardy’s.
Hardy is set to be arraigned Friday unless he posts bail.
Like I said, we don’t like to have to share news on these sorts of things, but it’s news and real life is ugly sometimes. Hardy was a member of the Kings in the early 1980s and was also later with the team when Wayne Gretzky was bringing the Kings into their limelight in the early 90s. Hardy also played for the Minnesota North Stars and New York Rangers in his career. As an assistant coach, Hardy has worked with both Andy and Terry Murray in Los Angeles and with Denis Savard in his ill-fated short coaching career in Chicago.
An update on this story and from all places, TMZ.
A former L.A. Kings hockey player-turned-assistant
coach was arrested this morning in Washington D.C. for allegedly
sexually abusing a 21-year-old woman — his own daughter.
has learned 51-year-old Mark Hardy is in police custody
after his daughter told cops that Mark “put his hand down [her] shorts
and touched her genital area without her permission.”
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 13
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 46
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 52
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 54
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 15
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)