May 21, 2010, 10:19 AM EDT
It’s safe to say that hockey players are a superstitious breed. They’re particular about who takes care of their sticks, they’ll keep pieces of equipment for years past the stage when you could call them old and moldy and all sorts of other added nonsense. For the Chicago Blackhawks, after having so much success on the road, it’s no surprise that they want to try to bring that good road fortune back home with them.
The Blackhawks theme of the day, of course, is reversing the trend of average play at home.
The news that the team will stay in a hotel Friday afternoon, after their morning practice, didn’t come as a complete shock.
The “road routine” has worked so well, why not try to bring it home? Simply put, there is no downside. A case could be made that the team should have stayed in a hotel Thursday night as well–John Madden said his New Jersey squad stayed in hotels in similar circumstances.
Trying to get some of the good vibes that helped the New Jersey Devils win a handful of Stanley Cups probably isn’t the worst idea around and let’s face it, Chicago has enough things going on around it to be able to be really distracting for anyone. Then again, if you want to make things really interesting, let the home teams select where the visiting team gets to stay for a hotel. I wonder how the Sharks would like staying at a hotel near Wrigley Field on a game night.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 0
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 40
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 29
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 15
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8