May 21, 2010, 10:19 AM EDT
It’s safe to say that hockey players are a superstitious breed. They’re particular about who takes care of their sticks, they’ll keep pieces of equipment for years past the stage when you could call them old and moldy and all sorts of other added nonsense. For the Chicago Blackhawks, after having so much success on the road, it’s no surprise that they want to try to bring that good road fortune back home with them.
The Blackhawks theme of the day, of course, is reversing the trend of average play at home.
The news that the team will stay in a hotel Friday afternoon, after their morning practice, didn’t come as a complete shock.
The “road routine” has worked so well, why not try to bring it home? Simply put, there is no downside. A case could be made that the team should have stayed in a hotel Thursday night as well–John Madden said his New Jersey squad stayed in hotels in similar circumstances.
Trying to get some of the good vibes that helped the New Jersey Devils win a handful of Stanley Cups probably isn’t the worst idea around and let’s face it, Chicago has enough things going on around it to be able to be really distracting for anyone. Then again, if you want to make things really interesting, let the home teams select where the visiting team gets to stay for a hotel. I wonder how the Sharks would like staying at a hotel near Wrigley Field on a game night.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 6
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 32
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)