May 20, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
Despite the fact that all but one game (the Winter Classic, of course) is played indoors in a typical season, hockey’s roots remain as an outdoor sport. It’s where Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky first laced up their skates, not to mention hordes of others. If Al Gore’s worst nightmare comes true and global warming ruins winter, hockey might be the sport that suffers the most.
Perhaps it makes sense, then, that the league is getting serious about “going green.” Here’s more from commissioner Gary Bettman via NHL.com.
“Our game originated on frozen ponds,” NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. “Most of our players learned to skate on outdoor rinks. For that magnificent tradition to continue through future generations, we need winter weather — and, as a league, we are uniquely positioned to promote that message. We are thrilled to be able to work with the Natural Resources Defense Council and to draw upon its vast experience and expertise in greening League events and League and Club operations.”
Maybe there are elements of the game that will always be taxing on the environment. Keeping a building in a “non-traditional” market cold enough to support an ice rink probably requires a lot of energy use. That’s just one of the examples that makes this initiative a nice thing, but total harmony with the environment a little more difficult to envision.
Skepticism aside, it’s nice to hear that the league want to do the best it can. Here’s Bettman explaining what NHL Green is in video form.
For even more on the subject, browse around the video center for NHL Green.
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 2
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 2
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 24
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 6
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 38
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 90
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (90)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Watch live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Watch live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas