May 20, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
Despite the fact that all but one game (the Winter Classic, of course) is played indoors in a typical season, hockey’s roots remain as an outdoor sport. It’s where Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky first laced up their skates, not to mention hordes of others. If Al Gore’s worst nightmare comes true and global warming ruins winter, hockey might be the sport that suffers the most.
Perhaps it makes sense, then, that the league is getting serious about “going green.” Here’s more from commissioner Gary Bettman via NHL.com.
“Our game originated on frozen ponds,” NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. “Most of our players learned to skate on outdoor rinks. For that magnificent tradition to continue through future generations, we need winter weather — and, as a league, we are uniquely positioned to promote that message. We are thrilled to be able to work with the Natural Resources Defense Council and to draw upon its vast experience and expertise in greening League events and League and Club operations.”
Maybe there are elements of the game that will always be taxing on the environment. Keeping a building in a “non-traditional” market cold enough to support an ice rink probably requires a lot of energy use. That’s just one of the examples that makes this initiative a nice thing, but total harmony with the environment a little more difficult to envision.
Skepticism aside, it’s nice to hear that the league want to do the best it can. Here’s Bettman explaining what NHL Green is in video form.
For even more on the subject, browse around the video center for NHL Green.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 7
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 17
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner