May 20, 2010, 8:00 PM EDT
After shutting out Montreal in two straight games, Michael Leighon already allowed two goals in the first period. Still, while Canadiens fans provide a token “Leigh-ton” cheer, it might be Chris Pronger who deserves the mockery.
The hulking defenseman is already -2 in the game, although the first goal resulted mainly by a crazy bounce and plenty of resourcefulness from Michael Cammalleri. During that first tally, the puck bounded off the glass and Cammalleri put it in before Leighton had a chance. On the second goal by Tom Pyatt, Pronger gave up a horrific turnover and the Canadiens made no mistake about it.
The Habs go into the second period with a 2 goal lead and a 2-man lead in the form of a brief 5-on-3 powerplay. It looks like Montreal is starting to look like that team that gave the star-studded Penguins and Capitals so many headaches. Jaroslav Halak had to make some tough saves among his nine in the first period, but Leighton was even busier allowing 2 on 17 shots.
Cammalleri’s incredible playoffs continued tonight as he now has 13 goals in 17 playoff games with two periods to pile on more. The Canadiens missed his output in Philadelphia, but they’d be crazy to complain about his productivity.
If Montreal wins, they’ll be right back in this series. Never count out the Canadiens.
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 3
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 6
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 24
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)