May 20, 2010, 8:00 PM EDT
After shutting out Montreal in two straight games, Michael Leighon already allowed two goals in the first period. Still, while Canadiens fans provide a token “Leigh-ton” cheer, it might be Chris Pronger who deserves the mockery.
The hulking defenseman is already -2 in the game, although the first goal resulted mainly by a crazy bounce and plenty of resourcefulness from Michael Cammalleri. During that first tally, the puck bounded off the glass and Cammalleri put it in before Leighton had a chance. On the second goal by Tom Pyatt, Pronger gave up a horrific turnover and the Canadiens made no mistake about it.
The Habs go into the second period with a 2 goal lead and a 2-man lead in the form of a brief 5-on-3 powerplay. It looks like Montreal is starting to look like that team that gave the star-studded Penguins and Capitals so many headaches. Jaroslav Halak had to make some tough saves among his nine in the first period, but Leighton was even busier allowing 2 on 17 shots.
Cammalleri’s incredible playoffs continued tonight as he now has 13 goals in 17 playoff games with two periods to pile on more. The Canadiens missed his output in Philadelphia, but they’d be crazy to complain about his productivity.
If Montreal wins, they’ll be right back in this series. Never count out the Canadiens.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 59
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal