May 19, 2010, 11:45 PM EDT
For most of the playoffs it’s been difficult to do a PHT Nightcap. Simply put, the games tend to end so late that we’re usually in full-on zombie mode. That is irksome, though, because there’s a ton of content in every day. With no games on tonight’s docket, I was able to put this collection together. Enjoy!
Michael Leighton’s big night: Two shutouts in a row for the goalie who’s barely even back from injury. That’s impressive.
Daniel Briere’s goal of the night: Is there a player on a hotter streak than Briere right now? Maybe his teammate Simon Gagne or Jonathan Toews … but Briere is up there.
Toews shining on offense and defense: Sooner or later he’ll have to show up in “best player in the world” talk, right?
Sexton a fan of Tallon hiring: Since hockey player nicknames are just their name plus “y” does that make Sexton “Sexy”?
Hockey Canada fires back at IIHF article: When will people get over comparing athletes to normal people?
Sharks missing heart: I thought that Sharks lack sleep, not heart? Oh, wait, we’re talking about the hockey team …
Oilers future looking brighter: Could Edmonton be the new Chicago/Pittsburgh/Washington?
Bruins might want to keep Tim Thomas: Beware the sophomore slump, Tuukka Rask.
Sporting News names Henrik Sedin player of the year: Do you think Daniel “felt” him winning it? Twins are weird.
Florida Panthers use airline model for ticket prices: Hopefully they’ll hand out barf bags when the Panthers miss the playoffs, then.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)