May 19, 2010, 7:45 PM EDT
Earlier today, I shared reports that Montreal Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov is expected to miss six months after surgery. It appears that Boston Bruins forward Marco Sturm is in a very similar situation, as he should be out about the same time – about six months – after yesterday’s surgery to repair his right knee. Here’s the report from the Boston Bruins.
Boston Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli announced today that forward Marco Sturm underwent successful surgery on his right knee. The surgery – which entailed a right knee ACL reconstruction, MCL repair, and partial lateral meniscectomy – was performed by Dr. Peter Asnis at Mass General Hospital.
Sturm sustained a torn ACL and a torn MCL in his right knee during the first period of the Bruins/Flyers game on Saturday, May 1 (Game 1).
His expected recovery time is an estimated six months post-surgery.
Sturm is no stranger to injury problems, but at least (hopefully) most of his rehab time will take place during the off-season. Some say that the Bruins choked away a 3-0 series lead and there’s no doubt that is true to at least some degree. Still, they were a battered and bruised bunch with some players playing when maybe they shouldn’t have (Marc Savard) and some missing time when they were needed the most (David Krejci).
One can only imagine how formidable the B’s could be if they were ever at full strength.
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 0
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 58
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)