May 19, 2010, 7:45 PM EDT
Earlier today, I shared reports that Montreal Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov is expected to miss six months after surgery. It appears that Boston Bruins forward Marco Sturm is in a very similar situation, as he should be out about the same time – about six months – after yesterday’s surgery to repair his right knee. Here’s the report from the Boston Bruins.
Boston Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli announced today that forward Marco Sturm underwent successful surgery on his right knee. The surgery – which entailed a right knee ACL reconstruction, MCL repair, and partial lateral meniscectomy – was performed by Dr. Peter Asnis at Mass General Hospital.
Sturm sustained a torn ACL and a torn MCL in his right knee during the first period of the Bruins/Flyers game on Saturday, May 1 (Game 1).
His expected recovery time is an estimated six months post-surgery.
Sturm is no stranger to injury problems, but at least (hopefully) most of his rehab time will take place during the off-season. Some say that the Bruins choked away a 3-0 series lead and there’s no doubt that is true to at least some degree. Still, they were a battered and bruised bunch with some players playing when maybe they shouldn’t have (Marc Savard) and some missing time when they were needed the most (David Krejci).
One can only imagine how formidable the B’s could be if they were ever at full strength.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 9
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 18
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 94
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (94)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- PBT: LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games