May 19, 2010, 7:45 PM EDT
Earlier today, I shared reports that Montreal Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov is expected to miss six months after surgery. It appears that Boston Bruins forward Marco Sturm is in a very similar situation, as he should be out about the same time – about six months – after yesterday’s surgery to repair his right knee. Here’s the report from the Boston Bruins.
Boston Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli announced today that forward Marco Sturm underwent successful surgery on his right knee. The surgery – which entailed a right knee ACL reconstruction, MCL repair, and partial lateral meniscectomy – was performed by Dr. Peter Asnis at Mass General Hospital.
Sturm sustained a torn ACL and a torn MCL in his right knee during the first period of the Bruins/Flyers game on Saturday, May 1 (Game 1).
His expected recovery time is an estimated six months post-surgery.
Sturm is no stranger to injury problems, but at least (hopefully) most of his rehab time will take place during the off-season. Some say that the Bruins choked away a 3-0 series lead and there’s no doubt that is true to at least some degree. Still, they were a battered and bruised bunch with some players playing when maybe they shouldn’t have (Marc Savard) and some missing time when they were needed the most (David Krejci).
One can only imagine how formidable the B’s could be if they were ever at full strength.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 20
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)