May 19, 2010, 7:45 PM EDT
Earlier today, I shared reports that Montreal Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov is expected to miss six months after surgery. It appears that Boston Bruins forward Marco Sturm is in a very similar situation, as he should be out about the same time – about six months – after yesterday’s surgery to repair his right knee. Here’s the report from the Boston Bruins.
Boston Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli announced today that forward Marco Sturm underwent successful surgery on his right knee. The surgery – which entailed a right knee ACL reconstruction, MCL repair, and partial lateral meniscectomy – was performed by Dr. Peter Asnis at Mass General Hospital.
Sturm sustained a torn ACL and a torn MCL in his right knee during the first period of the Bruins/Flyers game on Saturday, May 1 (Game 1).
His expected recovery time is an estimated six months post-surgery.
Sturm is no stranger to injury problems, but at least (hopefully) most of his rehab time will take place during the off-season. Some say that the Bruins choked away a 3-0 series lead and there’s no doubt that is true to at least some degree. Still, they were a battered and bruised bunch with some players playing when maybe they shouldn’t have (Marc Savard) and some missing time when they were needed the most (David Krejci).
One can only imagine how formidable the B’s could be if they were ever at full strength.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 10
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 21
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 23
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)