May 19, 2010, 7:45 PM EST
Earlier today, I shared reports that Montreal Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov is expected to miss six months after surgery. It appears that Boston Bruins forward Marco Sturm is in a very similar situation, as he should be out about the same time – about six months – after yesterday’s surgery to repair his right knee. Here’s the report from the Boston Bruins.
Boston Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli announced today that forward Marco Sturm underwent successful surgery on his right knee. The surgery – which entailed a right knee ACL reconstruction, MCL repair, and partial lateral meniscectomy – was performed by Dr. Peter Asnis at Mass General Hospital.
Sturm sustained a torn ACL and a torn MCL in his right knee during the first period of the Bruins/Flyers game on Saturday, May 1 (Game 1).
His expected recovery time is an estimated six months post-surgery.
Sturm is no stranger to injury problems, but at least (hopefully) most of his rehab time will take place during the off-season. Some say that the Bruins choked away a 3-0 series lead and there’s no doubt that is true to at least some degree. Still, they were a battered and bruised bunch with some players playing when maybe they shouldn’t have (Marc Savard) and some missing time when they were needed the most (David Krejci).
One can only imagine how formidable the B’s could be if they were ever at full strength.
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 0
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 1
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 2
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)