May 19, 2010, 10:30 PM EDT
The Sporting News named Vancouver Canucks center Henrik Sedin its NHL Player of the Year. According to the story, Sedin received 108 first-place votes, besting Alex Ovechkin’s 86 and Sidney Crosby’s 72.
Judging from Craig Custance’s write-up on Sedin victory, it seems that Henrik’s success without his twin brother Daniel (18 points on 10 goals and 8 assists in 18 games) made a big impact on the voting. The Sporting News apparently asked 363 coaches, players and executives to decide who was the year’s best.
“When I was out, he really wanted to show himself and all the people, too, that he could play without me,” Daniel says. “When I came back, he kept playing the same way. That’s probably what brought him to the next level.”
As you probably know, none of the three finalists remain in the playoffs. Sedin and Crosby were booted in the second round while Ovechkin fell in the first.
That shouldn’t take away from Henrik’s amazing season in which he earned the Art Ross Trophy with 112 points, blowing away his previous career highs. The question is: will Hart Trophy voters make the same decision this summer?
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 3
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 20
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 81
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 79
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 17
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 16
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (81)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (79)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)