May 19, 2010, 10:30 PM EDT
The Sporting News named Vancouver Canucks center Henrik Sedin its NHL Player of the Year. According to the story, Sedin received 108 first-place votes, besting Alex Ovechkin’s 86 and Sidney Crosby’s 72.
Judging from Craig Custance’s write-up on Sedin victory, it seems that Henrik’s success without his twin brother Daniel (18 points on 10 goals and 8 assists in 18 games) made a big impact on the voting. The Sporting News apparently asked 363 coaches, players and executives to decide who was the year’s best.
“When I was out, he really wanted to show himself and all the people, too, that he could play without me,” Daniel says. “When I came back, he kept playing the same way. That’s probably what brought him to the next level.”
As you probably know, none of the three finalists remain in the playoffs. Sedin and Crosby were booted in the second round while Ovechkin fell in the first.
That shouldn’t take away from Henrik’s amazing season in which he earned the Art Ross Trophy with 112 points, blowing away his previous career highs. The question is: will Hart Trophy voters make the same decision this summer?
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)