May 19, 2010, 10:30 PM EDT
The Sporting News named Vancouver Canucks center Henrik Sedin its NHL Player of the Year. According to the story, Sedin received 108 first-place votes, besting Alex Ovechkin’s 86 and Sidney Crosby’s 72.
Judging from Craig Custance’s write-up on Sedin victory, it seems that Henrik’s success without his twin brother Daniel (18 points on 10 goals and 8 assists in 18 games) made a big impact on the voting. The Sporting News apparently asked 363 coaches, players and executives to decide who was the year’s best.
“When I was out, he really wanted to show himself and all the people, too, that he could play without me,” Daniel says. “When I came back, he kept playing the same way. That’s probably what brought him to the next level.”
As you probably know, none of the three finalists remain in the playoffs. Sedin and Crosby were booted in the second round while Ovechkin fell in the first.
That shouldn’t take away from Henrik’s amazing season in which he earned the Art Ross Trophy with 112 points, blowing away his previous career highs. The question is: will Hart Trophy voters make the same decision this summer?
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)