May 19, 2010, 7:15 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers had a disastrous 2009-10 season, there’s really no other way to slice it. If they decide to release a team video, they might as well call it “What Murphy’s Law Looks Like.”
You can’t blame their fans for feeling optimistic about the future, though. For one thing, their prospects have flourished in international play, even when facing big pressure and pro-level talent. During the 2010 World Junior Championships, Jordan Eberle achieved near-hero status despite falling short of a gold medal. After one game in the pro-packed 2010 IIHF World Championships in Germany, Eberle already had a masterful four-point performance.
When you combine his play with the Team Sweden-leading output of Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson (four goals and four assists in six games), things are looking up for some of the franchise’s richest prospects. Here’s a few thoughts on that via TSN.
“For myself, and I know Magnus and [Oilers prospect Linus] Omark, it’s only going to help us going into camp and kind of put us at that level where we can play with those guys,” said Eberle.
Tambellini has even visited the tournament in person and has spoken at length with Paajarvi-Svensson, who has four goals and four assists in six game.
“You feel if you can compare to them, and if you can skate with them or have the same skill level, then I think I can handle it,” said Paajarvi-Svensson.
Combine those two talents with the very probable drafting of Taylor Hall and it’s reasonable to wonder if the Oilers might go from famine to feast like the Penguins, Capitals and Blackhawks before them. I’ll leave you with this gushing review of Hall from the normally reserved Oilers blogger Lowetide. (Note: I am aware the Oilers might pick Tyler Seguin, but my guess at this moment is that Hall is far more likely.)
I have seen the future of the Edmonton Oilers and his name is Taylor Hall.
For a blog that prides itself on using math and discouraging the “saw him good” crowd, I’ll admit that this clearly runs across the grain.
But there’s too much. Taylor Hall has an extra something, call it a dash of Howe and a pinch of Messier to him. If you’re not comfortable with those names, we can use “Mark” Howe and I’ll still feel the same way.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)