May 19, 2010, 7:15 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers had a disastrous 2009-10 season, there’s really no other way to slice it. If they decide to release a team video, they might as well call it “What Murphy’s Law Looks Like.”
You can’t blame their fans for feeling optimistic about the future, though. For one thing, their prospects have flourished in international play, even when facing big pressure and pro-level talent. During the 2010 World Junior Championships, Jordan Eberle achieved near-hero status despite falling short of a gold medal. After one game in the pro-packed 2010 IIHF World Championships in Germany, Eberle already had a masterful four-point performance.
When you combine his play with the Team Sweden-leading output of Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson (four goals and four assists in six games), things are looking up for some of the franchise’s richest prospects. Here’s a few thoughts on that via TSN.
“For myself, and I know Magnus and [Oilers prospect Linus] Omark, it’s only going to help us going into camp and kind of put us at that level where we can play with those guys,” said Eberle.
Tambellini has even visited the tournament in person and has spoken at length with Paajarvi-Svensson, who has four goals and four assists in six game.
“You feel if you can compare to them, and if you can skate with them or have the same skill level, then I think I can handle it,” said Paajarvi-Svensson.
Combine those two talents with the very probable drafting of Taylor Hall and it’s reasonable to wonder if the Oilers might go from famine to feast like the Penguins, Capitals and Blackhawks before them. I’ll leave you with this gushing review of Hall from the normally reserved Oilers blogger Lowetide. (Note: I am aware the Oilers might pick Tyler Seguin, but my guess at this moment is that Hall is far more likely.)
I have seen the future of the Edmonton Oilers and his name is Taylor Hall.
For a blog that prides itself on using math and discouraging the “saw him good” crowd, I’ll admit that this clearly runs across the grain.
But there’s too much. Taylor Hall has an extra something, call it a dash of Howe and a pinch of Messier to him. If you’re not comfortable with those names, we can use “Mark” Howe and I’ll still feel the same way.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)