May 19, 2010, 7:15 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers had a disastrous 2009-10 season, there’s really no other way to slice it. If they decide to release a team video, they might as well call it “What Murphy’s Law Looks Like.”
You can’t blame their fans for feeling optimistic about the future, though. For one thing, their prospects have flourished in international play, even when facing big pressure and pro-level talent. During the 2010 World Junior Championships, Jordan Eberle achieved near-hero status despite falling short of a gold medal. After one game in the pro-packed 2010 IIHF World Championships in Germany, Eberle already had a masterful four-point performance.
When you combine his play with the Team Sweden-leading output of Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson (four goals and four assists in six games), things are looking up for some of the franchise’s richest prospects. Here’s a few thoughts on that via TSN.
“For myself, and I know Magnus and [Oilers prospect Linus] Omark, it’s only going to help us going into camp and kind of put us at that level where we can play with those guys,” said Eberle.
Tambellini has even visited the tournament in person and has spoken at length with Paajarvi-Svensson, who has four goals and four assists in six game.
“You feel if you can compare to them, and if you can skate with them or have the same skill level, then I think I can handle it,” said Paajarvi-Svensson.
Combine those two talents with the very probable drafting of Taylor Hall and it’s reasonable to wonder if the Oilers might go from famine to feast like the Penguins, Capitals and Blackhawks before them. I’ll leave you with this gushing review of Hall from the normally reserved Oilers blogger Lowetide. (Note: I am aware the Oilers might pick Tyler Seguin, but my guess at this moment is that Hall is far more likely.)
I have seen the future of the Edmonton Oilers and his name is Taylor Hall.
For a blog that prides itself on using math and discouraging the “saw him good” crowd, I’ll admit that this clearly runs across the grain.
But there’s too much. Taylor Hall has an extra something, call it a dash of Howe and a pinch of Messier to him. If you’re not comfortable with those names, we can use “Mark” Howe and I’ll still feel the same way.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)