May 19, 2010, 8:45 PM EDT
When asked about waiving his no-trade clause, Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas said it was “too early” to make such a decision. While I think that the Boston Bruins would be wise to move the former Vezina Trophy winner at some point in the next couple years, it might actually be too early for them to move him anyway.
Look, there’s no doubt that Thomas didn’t play as well as he did in his star-making 08-09 campaign but he wasn’t necessarily awful. Really, it was more about Tuukka Rask being amazing than anything else. Were there moments in which the unorthodox Thomas seemed to be “exposed”? Maybe so, but a 91.5 percent save percentage is still a bit above the league average. It’s not like he had a disastrous season.
One important thing to remember is that continued success isn’t guaranteed for Rask, either. Even beyond the struggles Thomas had following up a great year, don’t forget that rookie goalies can hit a wall in their sophomore season. Just look at the struggles of Steve Mason; he went from Calder Trophy sensation to a goalie who struggled on an epic level.
More reasons why the Bruins should be cautious about trading Thomas after the jump.
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 6
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 23
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 8
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 25
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42