May 19, 2010, 8:45 PM EDT
When asked about waiving his no-trade clause, Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas said it was “too early” to make such a decision. While I think that the Boston Bruins would be wise to move the former Vezina Trophy winner at some point in the next couple years, it might actually be too early for them to move him anyway.
Look, there’s no doubt that Thomas didn’t play as well as he did in his star-making 08-09 campaign but he wasn’t necessarily awful. Really, it was more about Tuukka Rask being amazing than anything else. Were there moments in which the unorthodox Thomas seemed to be “exposed”? Maybe so, but a 91.5 percent save percentage is still a bit above the league average. It’s not like he had a disastrous season.
One important thing to remember is that continued success isn’t guaranteed for Rask, either. Even beyond the struggles Thomas had following up a great year, don’t forget that rookie goalies can hit a wall in their sophomore season. Just look at the struggles of Steve Mason; he went from Calder Trophy sensation to a goalie who struggled on an epic level.
More reasons why the Bruins should be cautious about trading Thomas after the jump.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 24
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 17
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 56
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)