May 18, 2010, 4:40 PM EST
The Phoenix Business Journal reports that the Phoenix Coyotes may, in fact, have a third suitor. Unfortunately, the possible owner/ownership group is anonymous at this time. The story notes that, in order for this potential owner to make the situation work, there would need to be some compromise.
The NHL previously said it wanted to have a deal done by June 30 or it would consider purchasers outside of the Phoenix market. The NHL also has contingency plans to sell and move the team to Winnipeg if deal can’t get done in Glendale.
The source, who asked not be identified, said the third group is not to the point of having a lease deal brought before the Glendale City Council, but moving the Coyotes deadline from June 30 to September could allow time to move forward with a bid and financing.
… Mitch Germann, spokesman for the Sacramento Kings basketball team, said the Maloof family, which owns the Kings and previously was mentioned as potential a NHL team owner, is not interested in the Coyotes.
It sounds like this third possible ownership group is in its infant stages, so one must wonder how valid their proposal will end up being. That being said, my guess is that the Coyotes franchise has a “the more the merrier” approach to possible owners. Even if that might bring more headaches, too.
As always, we’ll keep you up to date as we hear more about this situation.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)