May 18, 2010, 4:40 PM EDT
The Phoenix Business Journal reports that the Phoenix Coyotes may, in fact, have a third suitor. Unfortunately, the possible owner/ownership group is anonymous at this time. The story notes that, in order for this potential owner to make the situation work, there would need to be some compromise.
The NHL previously said it wanted to have a deal done by June 30 or it would consider purchasers outside of the Phoenix market. The NHL also has contingency plans to sell and move the team to Winnipeg if deal can’t get done in Glendale.
The source, who asked not be identified, said the third group is not to the point of having a lease deal brought before the Glendale City Council, but moving the Coyotes deadline from June 30 to September could allow time to move forward with a bid and financing.
… Mitch Germann, spokesman for the Sacramento Kings basketball team, said the Maloof family, which owns the Kings and previously was mentioned as potential a NHL team owner, is not interested in the Coyotes.
It sounds like this third possible ownership group is in its infant stages, so one must wonder how valid their proposal will end up being. That being said, my guess is that the Coyotes franchise has a “the more the merrier” approach to possible owners. Even if that might bring more headaches, too.
As always, we’ll keep you up to date as we hear more about this situation.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 0
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 19
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 22
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 32
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles