May 18, 2010, 4:40 PM EST
The Phoenix Business Journal reports that the Phoenix Coyotes may, in fact, have a third suitor. Unfortunately, the possible owner/ownership group is anonymous at this time. The story notes that, in order for this potential owner to make the situation work, there would need to be some compromise.
The NHL previously said it wanted to have a deal done by June 30 or it would consider purchasers outside of the Phoenix market. The NHL also has contingency plans to sell and move the team to Winnipeg if deal can’t get done in Glendale.
The source, who asked not be identified, said the third group is not to the point of having a lease deal brought before the Glendale City Council, but moving the Coyotes deadline from June 30 to September could allow time to move forward with a bid and financing.
… Mitch Germann, spokesman for the Sacramento Kings basketball team, said the Maloof family, which owns the Kings and previously was mentioned as potential a NHL team owner, is not interested in the Coyotes.
It sounds like this third possible ownership group is in its infant stages, so one must wonder how valid their proposal will end up being. That being said, my guess is that the Coyotes franchise has a “the more the merrier” approach to possible owners. Even if that might bring more headaches, too.
As always, we’ll keep you up to date as we hear more about this situation.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)