May 18, 2010, 4:40 PM EST
The Phoenix Business Journal reports that the Phoenix Coyotes may, in fact, have a third suitor. Unfortunately, the possible owner/ownership group is anonymous at this time. The story notes that, in order for this potential owner to make the situation work, there would need to be some compromise.
The NHL previously said it wanted to have a deal done by June 30 or it would consider purchasers outside of the Phoenix market. The NHL also has contingency plans to sell and move the team to Winnipeg if deal can’t get done in Glendale.
The source, who asked not be identified, said the third group is not to the point of having a lease deal brought before the Glendale City Council, but moving the Coyotes deadline from June 30 to September could allow time to move forward with a bid and financing.
… Mitch Germann, spokesman for the Sacramento Kings basketball team, said the Maloof family, which owns the Kings and previously was mentioned as potential a NHL team owner, is not interested in the Coyotes.
It sounds like this third possible ownership group is in its infant stages, so one must wonder how valid their proposal will end up being. That being said, my guess is that the Coyotes franchise has a “the more the merrier” approach to possible owners. Even if that might bring more headaches, too.
As always, we’ll keep you up to date as we hear more about this situation.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 12
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 7
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)