May 18, 2010, 4:40 PM EDT
The Phoenix Business Journal reports that the Phoenix Coyotes may, in fact, have a third suitor. Unfortunately, the possible owner/ownership group is anonymous at this time. The story notes that, in order for this potential owner to make the situation work, there would need to be some compromise.
The NHL previously said it wanted to have a deal done by June 30 or it would consider purchasers outside of the Phoenix market. The NHL also has contingency plans to sell and move the team to Winnipeg if deal can’t get done in Glendale.
The source, who asked not be identified, said the third group is not to the point of having a lease deal brought before the Glendale City Council, but moving the Coyotes deadline from June 30 to September could allow time to move forward with a bid and financing.
… Mitch Germann, spokesman for the Sacramento Kings basketball team, said the Maloof family, which owns the Kings and previously was mentioned as potential a NHL team owner, is not interested in the Coyotes.
It sounds like this third possible ownership group is in its infant stages, so one must wonder how valid their proposal will end up being. That being said, my guess is that the Coyotes franchise has a “the more the merrier” approach to possible owners. Even if that might bring more headaches, too.
As always, we’ll keep you up to date as we hear more about this situation.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)