May 18, 2010, 8:52 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers 2, Montreal Canadiens 0
Flyers lead series 1-0
After being embarrassed in Game 1, one thing the Montreal Canadiens
vowed to do tonight was to come out with energy and purpose, hoping to
stun the Flyers with an early onslaught.
That’s exactly what they
did. They controlled played in the first and through much of the second
period, outshooting the Flyers 26-13 after 40 minutes and enjoyed three
power plays in the first period.
Unfortunately, after two
periods, it’s the Habs who are left stunned and now trail the Flyers 2-0
after two power play goals; one each in the first and second periods.
Leighton has made several big saves but has yet to really be
miraculous; the Flyers are doing as good a job as can be expected to
keep the attack to the perimeter and limit the second-chance
opportunities for the Habs.
It’s incredible to think that after taking out the Capitals and the Penguins, it’s the Philadelphia Flyers that have posed the biggest problem for the Habs. Of course, there was some thought that perhaps the Canadiens thrive best as the underdog and once the pressure was placed squarely on their shoulders the closer they got to the Cup we might start to see them wilt.
Danny Briere has continued his resurgence in the playoffs, scoring his 9th of the postseason in the second period.
It’s as frustrating a game as you can
get for the Canadiens, and you have to think that all this energy
they’re using will hurt them in the third period as now they fight
against a team that is great with a lead.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8