May 18, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
A 6-0 win usually indicates a serious imbalance, but as the playoffs have shown us time and time again, things can change very quickly. Brian Gionta admitted that the Canadiens were far behind the Flyers in Game 1, but seemed upbeat that the team could rebound with some minor tweaks.
“We’re not that far off,” says Gionta, “It’s a difficult way to start off, but we’re to blame for that, and not a result of something special the Flyers were doing that we were unable to react to.”
Gionta, who tried as he might to install himself in front of the Flyers goal and serve them some of their own medicine does not buy in that intimidation or size were factors in Game One.
“It’s not as thought we were repeatedly knocked around. We simply weren’t prepared,” mentions Gionta, who along with Mike Cammalleri, was kept to one shot one goal.
“The Flyers excercise a consistent forecheck and we need to more the puck much quicker in order to force them to skate more. If they are applying puck pressure, one or two quick passes will destabilize them. From then on, they would not be coming at us so quickly.”
It will be interesting to see how the Canadiens respond to that Game 1 drubbing. The team clearly deals with adversity well, even if some would reasonably argue that they’ve also had their fair share of lucky bounces. If the Habs could tie the series 1-1, the 6-0 defeat will just be a bad memory.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)