May 18, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
A 6-0 win usually indicates a serious imbalance, but as the playoffs have shown us time and time again, things can change very quickly. Brian Gionta admitted that the Canadiens were far behind the Flyers in Game 1, but seemed upbeat that the team could rebound with some minor tweaks.
“We’re not that far off,” says Gionta, “It’s a difficult way to start off, but we’re to blame for that, and not a result of something special the Flyers were doing that we were unable to react to.”
Gionta, who tried as he might to install himself in front of the Flyers goal and serve them some of their own medicine does not buy in that intimidation or size were factors in Game One.
“It’s not as thought we were repeatedly knocked around. We simply weren’t prepared,” mentions Gionta, who along with Mike Cammalleri, was kept to one shot one goal.
“The Flyers excercise a consistent forecheck and we need to more the puck much quicker in order to force them to skate more. If they are applying puck pressure, one or two quick passes will destabilize them. From then on, they would not be coming at us so quickly.”
It will be interesting to see how the Canadiens respond to that Game 1 drubbing. The team clearly deals with adversity well, even if some would reasonably argue that they’ve also had their fair share of lucky bounces. If the Habs could tie the series 1-1, the 6-0 defeat will just be a bad memory.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)