May 18, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
A 6-0 win usually indicates a serious imbalance, but as the playoffs have shown us time and time again, things can change very quickly. Brian Gionta admitted that the Canadiens were far behind the Flyers in Game 1, but seemed upbeat that the team could rebound with some minor tweaks.
“We’re not that far off,” says Gionta, “It’s a difficult way to start off, but we’re to blame for that, and not a result of something special the Flyers were doing that we were unable to react to.”
Gionta, who tried as he might to install himself in front of the Flyers goal and serve them some of their own medicine does not buy in that intimidation or size were factors in Game One.
“It’s not as thought we were repeatedly knocked around. We simply weren’t prepared,” mentions Gionta, who along with Mike Cammalleri, was kept to one shot one goal.
“The Flyers excercise a consistent forecheck and we need to more the puck much quicker in order to force them to skate more. If they are applying puck pressure, one or two quick passes will destabilize them. From then on, they would not be coming at us so quickly.”
It will be interesting to see how the Canadiens respond to that Game 1 drubbing. The team clearly deals with adversity well, even if some would reasonably argue that they’ve also had their fair share of lucky bounces. If the Habs could tie the series 1-1, the 6-0 defeat will just be a bad memory.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 65
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (65)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)