May 18, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Contrary to earlier reports, Jeff Carter is not expected to return for the Eastern Conference finals. Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said it would be a “stretch” to see him back so soon. ESPN’s Scott Burnside has more.
“He’s been off the ice a long time, he hasn’t really been able to do anything from a conditioning standpoint,” Holmgren said Monday. “Obviously, it’s encouraging to see him skating. He skated. Today’s Monday, we’ll take it a day at a time, see how he is tomorrow.”
On the bright side, reports of the Eastern Conference finals return for rugged winger Ian Laperriere appear to hold more salt. Still, it’s important to maintain a decent amount of discretion when discussing injury returns especially when you’re talking about bruised brains.
“They’re both chomping on the bit big time. It’s just a question whether, A) are they healthy enough to play and B) are they fit enough, at this point. The health part we’re working through with both of them,” Holmgren said.
Making sense of injury reports can often be a fool’s errand during the playoffs, but we’ll keep you as informed as possible going forward.
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 3
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)