May 18, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
If there is one city in sports that has a reputation for taking things a little too far, it’s Philadelphia. Sure, it’s awesome that the City of Brotherly Love inhabits some of the most knowledgeable fans on the planet, but sometimes that passion manifests itself in some destructive and disturbing ways.
I found myself the unwanted centre of attraction when I went to my car after the game. One tire was flat, the bug deflector had been ripped from the hood, a hubcap had been snapped in two and the trunk and roof of the car were littered with beer cans. The windows were covered with beer and soda.
These were minor inconveniences. I bought a new tire and took a run through a car wash. And when you have 565,000 kilometres on a 1999 Honda Accord, you don’t worry about a bug deflector.
But my biggest concern was that some yahoo tore off my license plate. I spent three hours Monday, shuttling between police stations before I was able to fill out a report on the theft. I’m hoping that the report will help me clear customs Tuesday.
To be fair, Montreal Canadiens fans have had their fair share of over-the-line moments too, as they’ve occasionally rioted after wins and losses alike. Still, this is an ugly moment for a city where sports hooliganism is becoming so rampant it’s bordering on a cliche.
There is, however, one good bit of news. Hickey’s next trip to Philadelphia might be just a bit safer. Here’s more from Hickey via Chris Botta of NHL Fanhouse.
As a result of Hickey’s misfortune, it appears the Flyers are considering a change in protocol. The press parking at the Wachovia Center is usually just for Philadelphia-based reporters.
“Word is, that might change for this series,” said Hickey.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)