May 18, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Danny Briere may never live up to the big contract that the Philadelphia Flyers gave him. His defensive prowess leaves much to be desired. He’s not very large and he’s far from physical.
Maybe those flaws and prejudices explain why people aren’t giving the crafty forward credit for what is plain to see. Instead of justifying the jokes, Briere is absolutely on fire right now.
Since going 0-fer in the first three games of the New Jersey Devils series, Briere scored in all but one playoff game. In that stunning span, he scored 17 points (eight goals, nine assists) in only nine games. Those kind of numbers earned Joe Pavelski accolades and furthered the since-depleted deification of Sidney Crosby.
I haven’t seen a whole lot of praise for Briere, aside from a Bob McKenzie column and perhaps some local press here and there. It turns out that Briere brings his best stuff in the playoffs, too, as his 36 points in 36 playoff games as a Philadelphia Flyer make him only one of three players to average a point per playoff game in franchise history.
Does that mean we can’t make fun of him? Is it time to put away those hilarious/scary pregnancy Photoshops? I can’t say that for certain. One thing’s for sure, though, if the Canadiens don’t take him seriously he’ll make them pay on the scoreboard.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)