May 18, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Danny Briere may never live up to the big contract that the Philadelphia Flyers gave him. His defensive prowess leaves much to be desired. He’s not very large and he’s far from physical.
Maybe those flaws and prejudices explain why people aren’t giving the crafty forward credit for what is plain to see. Instead of justifying the jokes, Briere is absolutely on fire right now.
Since going 0-fer in the first three games of the New Jersey Devils series, Briere scored in all but one playoff game. In that stunning span, he scored 17 points (eight goals, nine assists) in only nine games. Those kind of numbers earned Joe Pavelski accolades and furthered the since-depleted deification of Sidney Crosby.
I haven’t seen a whole lot of praise for Briere, aside from a Bob McKenzie column and perhaps some local press here and there. It turns out that Briere brings his best stuff in the playoffs, too, as his 36 points in 36 playoff games as a Philadelphia Flyer make him only one of three players to average a point per playoff game in franchise history.
Does that mean we can’t make fun of him? Is it time to put away those hilarious/scary pregnancy Photoshops? I can’t say that for certain. One thing’s for sure, though, if the Canadiens don’t take him seriously he’ll make them pay on the scoreboard.
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 10
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 64
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 7
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- LIVE: Spurs can clinch title vs. Heat in Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'