May 18, 2010, 11:00 AM EST
Danny Briere may never live up to the big contract that the Philadelphia Flyers gave him. His defensive prowess leaves much to be desired. He’s not very large and he’s far from physical.
Maybe those flaws and prejudices explain why people aren’t giving the crafty forward credit for what is plain to see. Instead of justifying the jokes, Briere is absolutely on fire right now.
Since going 0-fer in the first three games of the New Jersey Devils series, Briere scored in all but one playoff game. In that stunning span, he scored 17 points (eight goals, nine assists) in only nine games. Those kind of numbers earned Joe Pavelski accolades and furthered the since-depleted deification of Sidney Crosby.
I haven’t seen a whole lot of praise for Briere, aside from a Bob McKenzie column and perhaps some local press here and there. It turns out that Briere brings his best stuff in the playoffs, too, as his 36 points in 36 playoff games as a Philadelphia Flyer make him only one of three players to average a point per playoff game in franchise history.
Does that mean we can’t make fun of him? Is it time to put away those hilarious/scary pregnancy Photoshops? I can’t say that for certain. One thing’s for sure, though, if the Canadiens don’t take him seriously he’ll make them pay on the scoreboard.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 8
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 18
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 48
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)