May 18, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Danny Briere may never live up to the big contract that the Philadelphia Flyers gave him. His defensive prowess leaves much to be desired. He’s not very large and he’s far from physical.
Maybe those flaws and prejudices explain why people aren’t giving the crafty forward credit for what is plain to see. Instead of justifying the jokes, Briere is absolutely on fire right now.
Since going 0-fer in the first three games of the New Jersey Devils series, Briere scored in all but one playoff game. In that stunning span, he scored 17 points (eight goals, nine assists) in only nine games. Those kind of numbers earned Joe Pavelski accolades and furthered the since-depleted deification of Sidney Crosby.
I haven’t seen a whole lot of praise for Briere, aside from a Bob McKenzie column and perhaps some local press here and there. It turns out that Briere brings his best stuff in the playoffs, too, as his 36 points in 36 playoff games as a Philadelphia Flyer make him only one of three players to average a point per playoff game in franchise history.
Does that mean we can’t make fun of him? Is it time to put away those hilarious/scary pregnancy Photoshops? I can’t say that for certain. One thing’s for sure, though, if the Canadiens don’t take him seriously he’ll make them pay on the scoreboard.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)