May 18, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Danny Briere may never live up to the big contract that the Philadelphia Flyers gave him. His defensive prowess leaves much to be desired. He’s not very large and he’s far from physical.
Maybe those flaws and prejudices explain why people aren’t giving the crafty forward credit for what is plain to see. Instead of justifying the jokes, Briere is absolutely on fire right now.
Since going 0-fer in the first three games of the New Jersey Devils series, Briere scored in all but one playoff game. In that stunning span, he scored 17 points (eight goals, nine assists) in only nine games. Those kind of numbers earned Joe Pavelski accolades and furthered the since-depleted deification of Sidney Crosby.
I haven’t seen a whole lot of praise for Briere, aside from a Bob McKenzie column and perhaps some local press here and there. It turns out that Briere brings his best stuff in the playoffs, too, as his 36 points in 36 playoff games as a Philadelphia Flyer make him only one of three players to average a point per playoff game in franchise history.
Does that mean we can’t make fun of him? Is it time to put away those hilarious/scary pregnancy Photoshops? I can’t say that for certain. One thing’s for sure, though, if the Canadiens don’t take him seriously he’ll make them pay on the scoreboard.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 21
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)