May 18, 2010, 12:30 PM EST
The 2010 IIHF World Championships have been a lowlight after a year of resounding success for Team USA Hockey, but at least next year they’ll be able to play for a medal. TJ Oshie helped the U.S. claim a 3-2 shootout victory over Italy by going three for five in the post-overtime competition. This win ensures that they will not be demoted for the 2011 IIHF World Championships tournament.
The U.S. will finish the tournament ranked #13 after winning each of its three relegation round games. They were down 2-1 against the Italians until Ryan Potulny scored to tie it up with 13 minutes left in the third period. Brandon Dubinsky had a goal and an assist in the game as the Americans squeaked by despite some solid goaltending from Daniel Bellissimo.
Want more information on the tournament? Check out the Hockey Worlds Blog, featuring our own Joe Yerdon.
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 15
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 16
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 65
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 17
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 16
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (65)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)