May 18, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
The 2010 IIHF World Championships have been a lowlight after a year of resounding success for Team USA Hockey, but at least next year they’ll be able to play for a medal. TJ Oshie helped the U.S. claim a 3-2 shootout victory over Italy by going three for five in the post-overtime competition. This win ensures that they will not be demoted for the 2011 IIHF World Championships tournament.
The U.S. will finish the tournament ranked #13 after winning each of its three relegation round games. They were down 2-1 against the Italians until Ryan Potulny scored to tie it up with 13 minutes left in the third period. Brandon Dubinsky had a goal and an assist in the game as the Americans squeaked by despite some solid goaltending from Daniel Bellissimo.
Want more information on the tournament? Check out the Hockey Worlds Blog, featuring our own Joe Yerdon.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks