May 17, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
Jeff Carter could end up playing in the Eastern Conference finals, some say as early as Game 2. He skated for the first time since a Chris Pronger slapper broke Carter’s foot during Game 4 of Philadelphia’s series with the New Jersey Devils. NHL.com has the lowdown.
Jeff Carter, who hasn’t skated since breaking his right foot during Game 4 of the Flyers’ first-round series against the New Jersey Devils, skated briefly on his own at the team’s Voorhees, N.J., facility prior to the team’s practice Monday.
Carter was on the ice for about 15 minutes, skating laps and shooting pucks before returning to the locker room prior to the rest of the team practicing.
A source told Comcast SportsNet-Philadelphia’s John Boruk that there is an outside chance Carter could play in Game 2 of the conference finals Tuesday (7 p.m. ET, VERSUS, CBC, RDS), but that Game 3 Thursday could be a better option. A report on TSN has a source saying Carter will be back “later” in the series.
It sounds like Game 2 might be a bit ambitious, but the Flyers would definitely benefit from the return of their leading goal scorer (33 this season despite missing eight games with a different foot injury) whenever he does come back. The playoffs, after all, are a time when hockey players don’t just fight through pain but also injuries that normally would have them on the sidelines.
Expect more information on Carter’s status as news trickles in, whether that be tomorrow, this week or later on in the series.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 2
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)