May 17, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
In this age of salary cap casualties, unrestricted free agency and trade deadline frenzies, it’s not surprising to see a player go from friend to foe or vice versa. Still, Glen Metropolit was in a pretty unique spot on November 27, 2009: he suited up with both the Montreal Canadiens and the Philadelphia Flyers during the same day.
“I skated in the morning with Philly,” Metropolit said with a laugh. “That afternoon, I got a phone call from (general manager) Paul Holmgren saying ‘I’ve got good news and bad news. The good news is you’re playing tonight. The bad news is you’re playing for Montreal.’
“It was a whirlwind day, that’s for sure. That whole game was a blur. I just tried not to change on their bench. I made sure I went to the right bench. It was really weird walking by and seeing all the security guards that I’m used to seeing and then, right down here, a whole new gang (of teammates).”
Now, it’s not exactly as if the Flyers were trying to insult Metropolit. According to the story, Philadelphia was trying to “sneak” him past waivers while attempting to clear space for Danny Briere. Montreal wouldn’t let him get through that process, though, and snatched him up in the same day.
On the bright side, Metropolit’s had a great year with the Habs. He produced a career-high 16 goals and 29 points going into unrestricted free agency this summer. He’ll also be able to claim the odd accomplishment of “playing” for the home team and the visiting team on the same day.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)