May 17, 2010, 11:30 AM EST
In this age of salary cap casualties, unrestricted free agency and trade deadline frenzies, it’s not surprising to see a player go from friend to foe or vice versa. Still, Glen Metropolit was in a pretty unique spot on November 27, 2009: he suited up with both the Montreal Canadiens and the Philadelphia Flyers during the same day.
“I skated in the morning with Philly,” Metropolit said with a laugh. “That afternoon, I got a phone call from (general manager) Paul Holmgren saying ‘I’ve got good news and bad news. The good news is you’re playing tonight. The bad news is you’re playing for Montreal.’
“It was a whirlwind day, that’s for sure. That whole game was a blur. I just tried not to change on their bench. I made sure I went to the right bench. It was really weird walking by and seeing all the security guards that I’m used to seeing and then, right down here, a whole new gang (of teammates).”
Now, it’s not exactly as if the Flyers were trying to insult Metropolit. According to the story, Philadelphia was trying to “sneak” him past waivers while attempting to clear space for Danny Briere. Montreal wouldn’t let him get through that process, though, and snatched him up in the same day.
On the bright side, Metropolit’s had a great year with the Habs. He produced a career-high 16 goals and 29 points going into unrestricted free agency this summer. He’ll also be able to claim the odd accomplishment of “playing” for the home team and the visiting team on the same day.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 0
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 36
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)