May 17, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
In this age of salary cap casualties, unrestricted free agency and trade deadline frenzies, it’s not surprising to see a player go from friend to foe or vice versa. Still, Glen Metropolit was in a pretty unique spot on November 27, 2009: he suited up with both the Montreal Canadiens and the Philadelphia Flyers during the same day.
“I skated in the morning with Philly,” Metropolit said with a laugh. “That afternoon, I got a phone call from (general manager) Paul Holmgren saying ‘I’ve got good news and bad news. The good news is you’re playing tonight. The bad news is you’re playing for Montreal.’
“It was a whirlwind day, that’s for sure. That whole game was a blur. I just tried not to change on their bench. I made sure I went to the right bench. It was really weird walking by and seeing all the security guards that I’m used to seeing and then, right down here, a whole new gang (of teammates).”
Now, it’s not exactly as if the Flyers were trying to insult Metropolit. According to the story, Philadelphia was trying to “sneak” him past waivers while attempting to clear space for Danny Briere. Montreal wouldn’t let him get through that process, though, and snatched him up in the same day.
On the bright side, Metropolit’s had a great year with the Habs. He produced a career-high 16 goals and 29 points going into unrestricted free agency this summer. He’ll also be able to claim the odd accomplishment of “playing” for the home team and the visiting team on the same day.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)