May 16, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks 1, Chicago Blackhawks 0
Series tied 0-0
The Chicago Blackhawks should thank their butts for Antti Niemi this afternoon, as their goaltender was the reason they went into the first period down by just a goal. The Sharks unleashed 13 shots on goal in the first 20 minutes, spread across three power plays and controlled the flow of the game for most of the first period.
Jason Demers was the difference maker, scoring a seeing-eye goal with a toe drag wrist shot that might have deflected off Duncan Keith and over Niemi’s shoulder.
Already, we’re seeing some of the themes that will emerge in this series as the vaunted Chicago defense will struggle to matchup with the San Jose forwards on the road. Todd McLellan will look to exploit those with his last change, and it’s been tough for the Blackhawks to adjust while spending so much time on the power play.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34