May 16, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks 1, Chicago Blackhawks 0
Series tied 0-0
The Chicago Blackhawks should thank their butts for Antti Niemi this afternoon, as their goaltender was the reason they went into the first period down by just a goal. The Sharks unleashed 13 shots on goal in the first 20 minutes, spread across three power plays and controlled the flow of the game for most of the first period.
Jason Demers was the difference maker, scoring a seeing-eye goal with a toe drag wrist shot that might have deflected off Duncan Keith and over Niemi’s shoulder.
Already, we’re seeing some of the themes that will emerge in this series as the vaunted Chicago defense will struggle to matchup with the San Jose forwards on the road. Todd McLellan will look to exploit those with his last change, and it’s been tough for the Blackhawks to adjust while spending so much time on the power play.
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 51
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12