May 16, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks 1, Chicago Blackhawks 0
Series tied 0-0
The Chicago Blackhawks should thank their butts for Antti Niemi this afternoon, as their goaltender was the reason they went into the first period down by just a goal. The Sharks unleashed 13 shots on goal in the first 20 minutes, spread across three power plays and controlled the flow of the game for most of the first period.
Jason Demers was the difference maker, scoring a seeing-eye goal with a toe drag wrist shot that might have deflected off Duncan Keith and over Niemi’s shoulder.
Already, we’re seeing some of the themes that will emerge in this series as the vaunted Chicago defense will struggle to matchup with the San Jose forwards on the road. Todd McLellan will look to exploit those with his last change, and it’s been tough for the Blackhawks to adjust while spending so much time on the power play.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 5
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)