May 16, 2010, 9:00 PM EST
Once again, the Montreal Canadiens find themselves dismantled in a Game 1. The Philadelphia Flyers bombarded the Habs with a three goal outburst in the second period, chasing Jaroslav Halak in the process. The score is 4-0 in favor of Philadelphia going into the third.
Versus threw up some interesting stats for this game. Apparently the Flyers really like the middle frame as they’ve apparently outscored their opponents 21-9 in second periods during the playoffs. One other interesting note: the quietly red-hot Danny Briere is now one of only three players in Philadelphia Flyers history to average a point per playoff game as he hit the 36 points in 36 games mark. For all the flak that Briere receives, it’s hard to argue with those numbers.
The scoring in the second started fast, with James van Riemsdyk putting a goal past Halak 30 seconds in. Briere scored the next goal and Simon Gagne added one more on the powerplay. Gagne has been a breathe of fresh air for the Flyers since coming back from an injury.
More on this game after the third period.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 24
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 60
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)