May 16, 2010, 8:05 PM EST
In the beginning of the first period, this was looking like another typical Montreal Canadiens playoff game. Jaroslav Halak was under siege worse than Steven Segal at certain points, yet the Philadelphia Flyers only managed one powerplay goal from Braydon Coburn.
The big difference is that the Canadiens are showing a little more punch, even if they haven’t pierced Flyers goalie Michael Leighton just yet. Leighton had 13 saves in one period for Philly while Halak seems like he’s playing more like Marc-Andre Fleury or Jose Theodore with only 5 of 6 saves. Sure, Montreal hasn’t had that many great scoring chances, but it’s rare enough for the Habs to have a 2-1 (or better) shoots for versus against ratio.
Despite the shot disparity, Philadelphia is playing confident, aggressive hockey right now. These two teams are on remarkable hot streaks and it looks like the Canadiens might really struggle with the Flyers.
So far, this series is looking quite intriguing. More updates to come.
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 22
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 67
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 16
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (67)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)