May 16, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
If the Associated Press report is correct, the Washington Capitals plan on announcing the signing of stud Swede center Nicklas Backstrom to a new contract on Monday.
Before he won the Conn Smythe trophy last season, Evgeni Malkin’s “under-the-radar” brilliance frustrated a lot of hockey people (and there still are some who remain frustrated that he’s not named alongside Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin). Backstrom is the Washington Capitals version of Malkin in many ways. While Ovechkin gets most of the endorsements and adulation, Backstrom puts up big numbers of his own.
Backstrom set career-highs with 33 goals and 68 assists this season. He was third in the NHL in assists, and his 101 points ranked fourth.
It will be interesting to see what kind of contract Backstrom signs. Will he go for a shorter term deal like Crosby and Malkin signed or maybe go for one of those somewhat-revolting life-time contracts? Depending on how much Backstrom costs his team, the Capitals could have an incredible amount of salary cap flexibility this summer.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 15
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)