May 15, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
Team USA finally scored some goals after some serious offensive impotency through its previous games. They shellacked Kazakhstan 10-0 this afternoon in their first game in the regulation round. PHT’s Joe Yerdon did a nice job of explaining USA Hockey’s predicament for the Hockey Worlds blog.
While being sent to the relegation round is embarrassing enough, as long as the Americans can avoid finishing third or fourth in the relegation round they’ll be all right. Doing that means they’ll get to stay in the IIHF top division with their more common opponents like Sweden, Finland, Russia and Canada. If they should continue to play poorly, however, and finish third or fourth they would be sent down to Division I and would have to win their way back up to the top division.
Matt Gilroy scored a hat trick and Brandon Dubinsky piled up one goal and four assists for the U.S. in a nice showing for two young New York Rangers. The US scored early and often in the game, with T.J. Oshie starting things off only 55 seconds into the contest followed 18 seconds later by Kyle Okposo. The team ended the first period with a 4-0 lead before piling on five more in the second and then one in the final frame.
Sure, they’re really just playing for pride at this point and scoring 10 goals on Kazakhstan is like dominating Madden on its rookie difficulty, but the US will take what they can get in what’s been a tough tournament.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)