May 15, 2010, 5:20 PM EST
Hal Gill is a big man who can apparently talk a big game. There might be some fans and suits who are disappointed that the Eastern Conference finals lacks a dream match on the Pittsburgh-Washington scale, but if Gill’s candid words are any indication, the series should be a lot of fun.
“It’s easy to hate the Flyers,” said Gill, a former Pittsburgh Penguin who lived through the intense cross-state rivalry in the playoffs the last two seasons. “They’ve been the Broad Street Bullies, their fans are loud and obnoxious.
“If you’re from Philly that’s great, if you’re not you hate them. It’s fun to hate the Flyers, just like it’s fun for them to hate our fans and our team. It should be a good series as far as hate goes.”
I love it. It’s not like he’s breaking new ground with his comments and he’s not being particularly insulting, but it’s still refreshing to hear such frankness from a hockey player. Besides, he didn’t even make a battery throwing joke.
My hope is that this turns into a war of words that would fit in well on a program hosted by Nick Cannon. (That’s right, I just sent you to a highlight video for a wildly unfunny show called “Wild’n’Out.” You’re welcome.)
Gill seems like the type of guy who could give the sport a much-needed boost in entertainment value. Say what you want about loudmouths like Sean Avery, at least they don’t communicate with the media solely in a series of publicist-coached cliches. Here’s hoping that this isn’t the last great quote since both teams feature their fair share of characters.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 2
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 2
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)