May 15, 2010, 12:30 AM EDT
The club of NHL teams to complete a three games to none comeback is pretty small, and for players from the last team to complete the feat, they’re a bit reluctant to share the stage with the Philadelphia Flyers. FanHouse’s Chris Botta wants you to say hello to the 1975 New York Islanders goaltender, and current Devils color man, Glenn “Chico” Resch.
“I’m a little disappointed, I can admit it,” Resch told FanHouse moments after watching the Philadelphia Flyers join his 1975 Islanders and the 1942 Maple Leafs as the only teams in NHL history to come back from down 3-0 in a playoff series. “I know we’re always supposed to say the right things in hockey, but I’m just being candid. The bittersweet feelings won’t last long, believe me.”
At least Chico didn’t go off on a Mercury Morris-like rant that occurs whenever an NFL team starts to make a run at an unbeaten season. Heck, Chico didn’t even get too sour about being joined in the comeback club by a team the Isles fought tooth and nail with every year.
“I figured our achievement was going to be matched one of these years,” added Nystrom. “When we first came back from 3-0 in ’75, I had no idea the NHL would go this long without another comeback. The great thing is, what we did can only be matched. It can’t be broken. You have to give a lot of credit to Philadelphia. I don’t think Boston gave it up. The Flyers really took it to them. You have to tip your hat to them.”
Some fans might argue with Chico’s last point there, but I think we can all safely say that we’re happy Chico didn’t find a way to work in a line about the Devils somehow.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)