May 15, 2010, 12:30 AM EDT
The club of NHL teams to complete a three games to none comeback is pretty small, and for players from the last team to complete the feat, they’re a bit reluctant to share the stage with the Philadelphia Flyers. FanHouse’s Chris Botta wants you to say hello to the 1975 New York Islanders goaltender, and current Devils color man, Glenn “Chico” Resch.
“I’m a little disappointed, I can admit it,” Resch told FanHouse moments after watching the Philadelphia Flyers join his 1975 Islanders and the 1942 Maple Leafs as the only teams in NHL history to come back from down 3-0 in a playoff series. “I know we’re always supposed to say the right things in hockey, but I’m just being candid. The bittersweet feelings won’t last long, believe me.”
At least Chico didn’t go off on a Mercury Morris-like rant that occurs whenever an NFL team starts to make a run at an unbeaten season. Heck, Chico didn’t even get too sour about being joined in the comeback club by a team the Isles fought tooth and nail with every year.
“I figured our achievement was going to be matched one of these years,” added Nystrom. “When we first came back from 3-0 in ’75, I had no idea the NHL would go this long without another comeback. The great thing is, what we did can only be matched. It can’t be broken. You have to give a lot of credit to Philadelphia. I don’t think Boston gave it up. The Flyers really took it to them. You have to tip your hat to them.”
Some fans might argue with Chico’s last point there, but I think we can all safely say that we’re happy Chico didn’t find a way to work in a line about the Devils somehow.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39