May 14, 2010, 9:52 PM EDT
A historic comeback in not only the game but in the series puts the Philadelphia Flyers in esteemed company in major professional sports history as the Flyers come back from down 3-0 in the series and 3-0 in the game to win their best-of-seven series against the Boston Bruins 4-3. A third period power play goal by Simon Gagne, thanks to a too many men on the ice penalty, with just over seven minutes to play put the Flyers ahead 4-3.
This is the first time since 1975 that an NHL team has come back from a 3-0 series deficit to win a series. That year saw the New York Islanders defeat the Pittsburgh Penguins in the NHL quarterfinals. This is just the third time in NHL playoffs history that a team has come back from a 3-0 series deficit and it’s the third time in the NHL playoffs that a team has overcome a three-goal deficit to win a Game 7.
The Flyers now move on to take on the Montreal Canadiens in the Eastern Conference finals Sunday night at 7pm Eastern. The Flyers, despite being the seventh seed in the East, will have home ice advantage in the series. That may not be all that helpful considering the road teams are now 38-35 in the playoffs and Montreal has won two straight road Game 7s in these playoffs.
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)