May 14, 2010, 9:52 PM EST
A historic comeback in not only the game but in the series puts the Philadelphia Flyers in esteemed company in major professional sports history as the Flyers come back from down 3-0 in the series and 3-0 in the game to win their best-of-seven series against the Boston Bruins 4-3. A third period power play goal by Simon Gagne, thanks to a too many men on the ice penalty, with just over seven minutes to play put the Flyers ahead 4-3.
This is the first time since 1975 that an NHL team has come back from a 3-0 series deficit to win a series. That year saw the New York Islanders defeat the Pittsburgh Penguins in the NHL quarterfinals. This is just the third time in NHL playoffs history that a team has come back from a 3-0 series deficit and it’s the third time in the NHL playoffs that a team has overcome a three-goal deficit to win a Game 7.
The Flyers now move on to take on the Montreal Canadiens in the Eastern Conference finals Sunday night at 7pm Eastern. The Flyers, despite being the seventh seed in the East, will have home ice advantage in the series. That may not be all that helpful considering the road teams are now 38-35 in the playoffs and Montreal has won two straight road Game 7s in these playoffs.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)