May 14, 2010, 9:52 PM EDT
A historic comeback in not only the game but in the series puts the Philadelphia Flyers in esteemed company in major professional sports history as the Flyers come back from down 3-0 in the series and 3-0 in the game to win their best-of-seven series against the Boston Bruins 4-3. A third period power play goal by Simon Gagne, thanks to a too many men on the ice penalty, with just over seven minutes to play put the Flyers ahead 4-3.
This is the first time since 1975 that an NHL team has come back from a 3-0 series deficit to win a series. That year saw the New York Islanders defeat the Pittsburgh Penguins in the NHL quarterfinals. This is just the third time in NHL playoffs history that a team has come back from a 3-0 series deficit and it’s the third time in the NHL playoffs that a team has overcome a three-goal deficit to win a Game 7.
The Flyers now move on to take on the Montreal Canadiens in the Eastern Conference finals Sunday night at 7pm Eastern. The Flyers, despite being the seventh seed in the East, will have home ice advantage in the series. That may not be all that helpful considering the road teams are now 38-35 in the playoffs and Montreal has won two straight road Game 7s in these playoffs.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)