May 14, 2010, 9:52 PM EDT
A historic comeback in not only the game but in the series puts the Philadelphia Flyers in esteemed company in major professional sports history as the Flyers come back from down 3-0 in the series and 3-0 in the game to win their best-of-seven series against the Boston Bruins 4-3. A third period power play goal by Simon Gagne, thanks to a too many men on the ice penalty, with just over seven minutes to play put the Flyers ahead 4-3.
This is the first time since 1975 that an NHL team has come back from a 3-0 series deficit to win a series. That year saw the New York Islanders defeat the Pittsburgh Penguins in the NHL quarterfinals. This is just the third time in NHL playoffs history that a team has come back from a 3-0 series deficit and it’s the third time in the NHL playoffs that a team has overcome a three-goal deficit to win a Game 7.
The Flyers now move on to take on the Montreal Canadiens in the Eastern Conference finals Sunday night at 7pm Eastern. The Flyers, despite being the seventh seed in the East, will have home ice advantage in the series. That may not be all that helpful considering the road teams are now 38-35 in the playoffs and Montreal has won two straight road Game 7s in these playoffs.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 32
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 90
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)