May 14, 2010, 9:52 PM EDT
A historic comeback in not only the game but in the series puts the Philadelphia Flyers in esteemed company in major professional sports history as the Flyers come back from down 3-0 in the series and 3-0 in the game to win their best-of-seven series against the Boston Bruins 4-3. A third period power play goal by Simon Gagne, thanks to a too many men on the ice penalty, with just over seven minutes to play put the Flyers ahead 4-3.
This is the first time since 1975 that an NHL team has come back from a 3-0 series deficit to win a series. That year saw the New York Islanders defeat the Pittsburgh Penguins in the NHL quarterfinals. This is just the third time in NHL playoffs history that a team has come back from a 3-0 series deficit and it’s the third time in the NHL playoffs that a team has overcome a three-goal deficit to win a Game 7.
The Flyers now move on to take on the Montreal Canadiens in the Eastern Conference finals Sunday night at 7pm Eastern. The Flyers, despite being the seventh seed in the East, will have home ice advantage in the series. That may not be all that helpful considering the road teams are now 38-35 in the playoffs and Montreal has won two straight road Game 7s in these playoffs.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)