May 14, 2010, 7:54 PM EST
The key that Claude Julien sighted as the biggest one for Boston in this game was to take control of the game in the first ten minutes. For that, the Bruins would get high marks as the Bruins stormed out to a 2-0 on the back of power play goals by Michael Ryder and Milan Lucic. Lucic would add another one minutes later to give Boston a 3-0 lead and it appeared that the rout would be on with the home crowd going bonkers and the Bruins rolling hard.
That is until Philly’s James Van Riemsdyk would find a way to squeeze one through the pads of Tuukka Rask with about three minutes left in the period. The Flyers were able to gain some momentum from the goal and started to turn the game a bit before the period ended. The Flyers managed to quiet the crowd with the goal as well.
What both teams are going to need is better goaltending as, by my count, three of the four goals that period were pretty soft with Leighton allowing two five-hole goals and Rask allowing a squibber to get by him. The Flyers may want to stay out of the box as both of their minor penalties were cashed in on by Boston.
Make sure to join us in our live chat while the game is going on.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 54
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)