May 13, 2010, 5:30 PM EST
Willie Mitchell finally spoke to the media today after being out of action since January 16 because of concussion issues caused by an Evgeni Malkin hit. The rugged defenseman spoke out against NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell, particularly the effects his “relationships” have on some of his decision making.
The Vancouver Province has the story.
“I know Colin Campbell has a lot of relationships with general managers and owners and stuff like that,” Mitchell said. “It’s very tough to hand down decisions on matters like this when you’re friends with people.
“It’s like saying I have to discipline my teammates. It’s too emotional. You can’t always make the right decision.”
“I am disappointed in the league, I’m disappointed in Colin Campbell,” Mitchell said. “I am disappointed he didn’t rule down anything on the play. That’s his job. As we’ve seen, he’s been very inconsistent in how he’s handled himself in those situations. I think a lot of times he hands down suspensions and fines on results.
“I think that’s the wrong thing to do.”
Mitchell is one of the league’s most underrated shutdown defenseman and you have to think that the Canucks missed him (especially in that horrible Game 6). Here’s video of the Mitchell press meeting.
There’s really no doubt that there is at least some form of “double standard” for star players. If it were, say, Matt Cooke instead of Evgeni Malkin who delivered that hit on Mitchell, odds are there would have been a fine or even a suspension.
Regardless, Mitchell’s a great defensive player and seems to be a solid human. Hopefully he’ll be back and healthy next season.
And maybe – just maybe – the league will get its act together when it comes to these hits.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 2
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 7
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 20
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11