May 13, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
To little surprise, Sidney Crosby turned down an invitation to play for Team Canada in the 2010 IIHF World Championships. Here’s the Associated Press story.
Crosby, who played in all but one of the Pittsburgh Penguins’ 95 games this season, including playoffs, turned down the invitation on Thursday after being asked to replace the injured Ryan Smyth (ankle).
Crosby was invited a few hours after the reigning Stanley Cup champion Penguins lost 5-2 to Montreal in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals. The Penguins played in the Stanley Cup finals the last two seasons and have had only two calendar months off – July and August of last year – since the 2008-09 season started in October 2008.
On some level, I’m kind of surprised so many players go to that tournament year after year. Especially this summer, after many of them played a full schedule plus those pressure-packed Olympic games.
Pittsburgh Penguins and Detroit Red Wings who played in both Stanley Cup Finals should be given an even bigger pass because they’ve played an unbelievable amount of hockey the past three seasons. When you consider the wear-and-tear endured from an 82-game regular season alone, the elite level condition pro players are in in really smacks you in the face.
Perhaps a few people will be angry that Crosby decided to finally take a breather, but most should look at his 2010 Vancouver Olympics gold medal and let him be. At least on this issue.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 18
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 38
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 71
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks