May 13, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
About six days ago, I couldn’t help but wonder what Montreal Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak might be worth. Even then, he was the No. 1 reason the team made it so far. Another thing I couldn’t help but do was ask the general hockey public to share their thoughts on his value. Here’s the poll results.
Now, that poll took place almost a week ago and Halak advanced to another round. Still, he’s already in $5 million to $5.5 million territory in the minds of many. I can’t help but be curious if his perceived value is even higher than it was on May 7 after spurning the Penguins in addition to the Capitals.
Before I give you a poll-mulligan and thus a chance to re-appraise his value, let’s take a look at some of the Halak bullet points.
- One incredibly simple but awesome stat that I can’t help but going back to: Halak is 5-0 in elimination games for the Canadiens in the 2010 playoffs.
- In the two elimination games against the Penguins, he allowed a solid five goals. He really shined against Washington, though, never allowing more than one goal in three brutal games.
- His playoffs save percentage is an all-world 93.3%
- One odd fact: he doesn’t have a single shutout in the playoffs. If this means much to you, then we don’t see eye-to-eye on which stats matter when it comes to goalies.
So with all that, I reset the poll to see if Halak’s value is even higher than it was a week ago. Cast your votes and tell your friends.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 10
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)