May 13, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
About six days ago, I couldn’t help but wonder what Montreal Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak might be worth. Even then, he was the No. 1 reason the team made it so far. Another thing I couldn’t help but do was ask the general hockey public to share their thoughts on his value. Here’s the poll results.
Now, that poll took place almost a week ago and Halak advanced to another round. Still, he’s already in $5 million to $5.5 million territory in the minds of many. I can’t help but be curious if his perceived value is even higher than it was on May 7 after spurning the Penguins in addition to the Capitals.
Before I give you a poll-mulligan and thus a chance to re-appraise his value, let’s take a look at some of the Halak bullet points.
- One incredibly simple but awesome stat that I can’t help but going back to: Halak is 5-0 in elimination games for the Canadiens in the 2010 playoffs.
- In the two elimination games against the Penguins, he allowed a solid five goals. He really shined against Washington, though, never allowing more than one goal in three brutal games.
- His playoffs save percentage is an all-world 93.3%
- One odd fact: he doesn’t have a single shutout in the playoffs. If this means much to you, then we don’t see eye-to-eye on which stats matter when it comes to goalies.
So with all that, I reset the poll to see if Halak’s value is even higher than it was a week ago. Cast your votes and tell your friends.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)