May 13, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
About six days ago, I couldn’t help but wonder what Montreal Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak might be worth. Even then, he was the No. 1 reason the team made it so far. Another thing I couldn’t help but do was ask the general hockey public to share their thoughts on his value. Here’s the poll results.
Now, that poll took place almost a week ago and Halak advanced to another round. Still, he’s already in $5 million to $5.5 million territory in the minds of many. I can’t help but be curious if his perceived value is even higher than it was on May 7 after spurning the Penguins in addition to the Capitals.
Before I give you a poll-mulligan and thus a chance to re-appraise his value, let’s take a look at some of the Halak bullet points.
- One incredibly simple but awesome stat that I can’t help but going back to: Halak is 5-0 in elimination games for the Canadiens in the 2010 playoffs.
- In the two elimination games against the Penguins, he allowed a solid five goals. He really shined against Washington, though, never allowing more than one goal in three brutal games.
- His playoffs save percentage is an all-world 93.3%
- One odd fact: he doesn’t have a single shutout in the playoffs. If this means much to you, then we don’t see eye-to-eye on which stats matter when it comes to goalies.
So with all that, I reset the poll to see if Halak’s value is even higher than it was a week ago. Cast your votes and tell your friends.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 1
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 38
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 22
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 21
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 8
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 28
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)