May 13, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
About six days ago, I couldn’t help but wonder what Montreal Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak might be worth. Even then, he was the No. 1 reason the team made it so far. Another thing I couldn’t help but do was ask the general hockey public to share their thoughts on his value. Here’s the poll results.
Now, that poll took place almost a week ago and Halak advanced to another round. Still, he’s already in $5 million to $5.5 million territory in the minds of many. I can’t help but be curious if his perceived value is even higher than it was on May 7 after spurning the Penguins in addition to the Capitals.
Before I give you a poll-mulligan and thus a chance to re-appraise his value, let’s take a look at some of the Halak bullet points.
- One incredibly simple but awesome stat that I can’t help but going back to: Halak is 5-0 in elimination games for the Canadiens in the 2010 playoffs.
- In the two elimination games against the Penguins, he allowed a solid five goals. He really shined against Washington, though, never allowing more than one goal in three brutal games.
- His playoffs save percentage is an all-world 93.3%
- One odd fact: he doesn’t have a single shutout in the playoffs. If this means much to you, then we don’t see eye-to-eye on which stats matter when it comes to goalies.
So with all that, I reset the poll to see if Halak’s value is even higher than it was a week ago. Cast your votes and tell your friends.
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 64
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights