May 13, 2010, 4:45 PM EST
Instead of sibling rivalry, perhaps the Carolina Hurricanes will be known for sibling revelry. The team traded for Jared Staal, the youngest brother of the team’s best player Eric Staal. Here’s a little bit more from NHL.com.
The Carolina Hurricanes have acquired forward Jared Staal, the youngest brother of Hurricanes captain Eric Staal in a trade with the Phoenix Coyotes.
In exchange for Jared Staal, the Hurricanes traded a fifth-round selection in the 2010 Entry Draft.
If you’re a hockey fan who happened to see any game between the Penguins, Rangers or Hurricanes there’s a good chance you might be aware that the Staal family has had widespread success in the NHL. Eric’s the best of the brood so far, with a Stanley Cup and a 100+ point season to his credit. Jordan Staal might not put up the same offensive numbers as Eric, but he’s been a major contributor to a Penguins team that won a Cup. Finally, Marc Staal has been an integral part of the New York Rangers defense and will probably see a nice payday this summer as an unrestricted free agent.
Here’s Jared Staal’s prospect numbers, also from the NHL.com article.
In 59 games with the Ontario Hockey League’s Sudbury Wolves this season. Staal scored 12 goals and 37 assists. He also appeared in five games with the AHL’s San Antonio Rampage, picking up 1 assist.
The Hurricanes might be tempted to bring up Jared right away, but years ago I was actually quite surprised by how rapidly older brother Jordan made the Penguins. Jordan is still a bit lanky and raw himself (although his defensive skills are as polished as they can get, judging from his Selke Trophy nomination) so Carolina might do well to let Jared develop a bit. Still, I’m sure it would be fun to see the two brothers play on the same team. Maybe even the same line?
Finally, for your viewing pleasure, here’s a video on the Staal brothers. Enjoy.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 37
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 25
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)