May 13, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
Instead of sibling rivalry, perhaps the Carolina Hurricanes will be known for sibling revelry. The team traded for Jared Staal, the youngest brother of the team’s best player Eric Staal. Here’s a little bit more from NHL.com.
The Carolina Hurricanes have acquired forward Jared Staal, the youngest brother of Hurricanes captain Eric Staal in a trade with the Phoenix Coyotes.
In exchange for Jared Staal, the Hurricanes traded a fifth-round selection in the 2010 Entry Draft.
If you’re a hockey fan who happened to see any game between the Penguins, Rangers or Hurricanes there’s a good chance you might be aware that the Staal family has had widespread success in the NHL. Eric’s the best of the brood so far, with a Stanley Cup and a 100+ point season to his credit. Jordan Staal might not put up the same offensive numbers as Eric, but he’s been a major contributor to a Penguins team that won a Cup. Finally, Marc Staal has been an integral part of the New York Rangers defense and will probably see a nice payday this summer as an unrestricted free agent.
Here’s Jared Staal’s prospect numbers, also from the NHL.com article.
In 59 games with the Ontario Hockey League’s Sudbury Wolves this season. Staal scored 12 goals and 37 assists. He also appeared in five games with the AHL’s San Antonio Rampage, picking up 1 assist.
The Hurricanes might be tempted to bring up Jared right away, but years ago I was actually quite surprised by how rapidly older brother Jordan made the Penguins. Jordan is still a bit lanky and raw himself (although his defensive skills are as polished as they can get, judging from his Selke Trophy nomination) so Carolina might do well to let Jared develop a bit. Still, I’m sure it would be fun to see the two brothers play on the same team. Maybe even the same line?
Finally, for your viewing pleasure, here’s a video on the Staal brothers. Enjoy.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 19
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39