May 12, 2010, 7:50 PM EDT
Despite Brandon’s suggestions, it’s clear that the Pittsburgh Penguins carried their frustrations over from Game 6. The Canadiens go into the second period with a 2-0 lead mostly because of the Penguins’ own mistakes.
Sidney Crosby took a bad boarding penalty about 10 seconds into the game and Matt Cooke followed him shortly. Marc-Andre Fleury allowed yet another soft, early goal 32 seconds in thanks to Crosby’s penalty. Within a minute, the Penguins already shot themselves in the foot and then dug that hole deeper later in the second by allowing a Dominic Moore goal because of a bad turnover. The Pens almost seem like they inherited the stupor of last night’s Canucks team, looking as flat in the first as Vancouver did in their putrid second period.
My guess is that the Penguins will come out angry in the second period, but they should know by now that the Montreal Canadiens are used to withstanding angry offensive barrages. A 2-0 lead seems like a 25-0 lead when you consider the fact that Jaroslav Halak has been a machine in elimination games.
It’s not over yet for Pittsburgh, but it sure isn’t looking good. Stay tuned for more updates and feel free to drop by for our live chat.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)